This position is located in the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Research, Markets and Regulations Division, Office of Research.
See our tips on the application process and printable checklist to ensure each step of the application is completed.
Learn more about this agency
The following are the duties at the CN-60 level. (Equivalent to the GS-14). If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position. The major duties of this position include:
- Analyze, synthesize, interpret, and has lead responsibility of providing information, analysis, technical advice, and recommendations on current developments in consumer financial markets and services.
- Plan, organize and participate in the collection of data on a wide variety of problems in consumer financial markets and services. These collections may include lead responsibility of planning, designing and implementation of surveys of households and firms.
- Develop and maintain econometric models of consumer financial markets for use in policy analysis. Support analysis with statistical, mathematical, and econometric methods and techniques, and consistently exhibits professional judgment.
- Analyze issues and changes in consumer financial markets and services and analyzes and develops or evaluates proposals for policy or regulatory change including effects of proposed policies and regulations on competition and consumers.
Occasional travel – 01 to 05 travel nights per month may be required.
Conditions of Employment
- Background investigation
- You must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. National
- May be required to serve a probationary period.
- Public Trust background Investigation will be required
For the CN-60: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the CN-53 grade level in the Federal service (For qualification purposes, the CN-53 is broadly equivalent to the GS-13). For this position, specialized experience must include independently conducting research or analysis to define potential economic risks and/or statistics for reports intended for publication in relevant government or industry publications or academic journals in the areas of applied microeconomic theory, labor economics, industrial organization, development economics, public economics, health economics, finance, behavioral economics, urban economics, and/or experimental economics.
For the CN-53: You must have one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the CN-52 level in the Federal service. (For qualification purposes, the CN-52 level is broadly equivalent to the GS-12 level). For this position, specialized experience must include conducting primary research using economic data or developing economic models that provided statistical results to be used in writing working papers in the areas of applied microeconomic theory, labor economics, industrial organization, development economics, public economics, health economics, finance, behavioral economics, urban economics, and/or experimental economics or teaching in these areas as an Assistant Professor at the college or university level.
For the CN-52: You must have one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the CN-51 level in the Federal service. (For qualification purposes, the CN-51 level is broadly equivalent to the GS-11 level). For this position, specialized experience must include collecting and analyzing economic data or developing economic models for the purpose of preparing primary research in the areas of applied microeconomic theory, labor economics, industrial organization, development economics, public economics, health economics, finance, behavioral economics, urban economics, and/or experimental economics; or conducting economic analysis in these areas as an economist or consultant
You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: Ph.D. in a related field that provided you with the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work or a combination of education and experience.
You may qualify by a combination of experience and education.
PLEASE NOTE: Experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector.
Candidates who are in the process of completing qualifying education requirements will be considered as long as the requirements are completed within 9 months from the closing date of this vacancy.
You must meet both the basic education requirements and the specialized experience to meet qualifications.
1. Degree: Economics, that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus.
2. Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in economics, as shown in 1 above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This announcement may be used to fill like positions in other organizations within the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- All candidates will be considered without regard to any non-merit reasons such as race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, lawful political affiliation, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, protected genetic information, parental status, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Relocation expenses will be paid, contingent upon availability of funds.
- This position is eligible for bargaining unit representation.
- Ethics: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau employees are subject to government-wide ethical standards of conduct, financial disclosure requirements, and post-employment prohibitions, which applicants may review at www.oge.gov . In addition, Bureau employees must comply with the Supplemental Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection (5 CFR 9401), which, among other things, prohibit an employee or the employee's spouse or minor child from owning or controlling a debt or equity interest in an entity supervised by the Bureau. Regulations also impose restrictions on the outside activities of certain Bureau employees, including examiners and attorneys. Applicants may review the Bureau ethics regulations and a summary of the regulations at www.consumerfinance.gov . Questions regarding these requirements and prohibitions should be directed to the Bureau Ethics Office at EthicsHelpcfpb.gov .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your:
2. Responses to the online questions,
3. Required supporting documents;
4. Cover letter (optional).
Note: If a cover letter is submitted, it may be used to assess your qualifications.
We will evaluate your application by comparing your description of your work experience, level of responsibility, and accomplishments, with the requirements of the position to determine whether you meet all the qualification requirements. Your application may also be evaluated in the following areas:
- Subject Matter Expertise
- Analytical Thinking
- Written Communication
This notice is issued under the Direct-Hire authority. Using Office of Personnel Management (OPM) approved government-wide direct hire authorities, agencies may appoint candidates directly to jobs, without regard to the provisions of Title 5 U.S.C.3309 through 3318, for which OPM determines that there is a severe shortage of candidates or a critical hiring need. Candidates will be evaluated on their basic eligibility for Federal employment, minimum qualifications and possession of job-related knowledge, skills and abilities and other factors. All applicants who meet basic qualification requirements will be forwarded to the Selecting Official for further consideration.
Veterans' Preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to this vacancy.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible). Please ensure all required documents, including any required work samples, narratives, or other materials as stated in this announcement, are attached to your application package. Documents can be uploaded under the category of "Cover Letter".
ICTAP PROOF OF ELIGIBILITY: If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee eligible for consideration under the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP), you must submit proof of eligibility. For a detailed list of documents, click here .
Education Documentation: If you are qualifying based on education, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or a list of courses showing title, number of credits, grade, and date of completion.
To be used in meeting qualification requirements, a college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to the Database of Accreditation of Post-Secondary Institutions and Programs . If we are unable to determine that you meet the required education, you will be found ineligible for further consideration. We recommend you get this process started as soon as possible to avoid delays in appointment if selected.
If you are qualifying based on foreign education, you must submit proof of creditability of education as evaluated by a credentialing agency; more information may be found at Acceptability of Higher Education for Meeting Minimum Qualification Requirements . We recommend you get this process started as soon as possible to avoid delays in appointment if selected.
A transcript will be required if you are tentatively selected.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.