The Associate General Counsel role serves as legal counsel for Novant Health, Inc. and its related corporate entities with responsibility for legal matters, risk management and compliance issues related to transactions with physicians and/or physician groups.
- Analyzes the impact and application of federal and state health care laws and regulations, including reimbursement requirements, Stark, Anti-kickback, HIPAA, the Civil Monetary Penalties Law, and Medicare Conditions of Participation in connection with clinical, strategic, and business operations
- Provides legal advice regarding relationships and transactions with hospitals, physicians, physician groups, vendors, managed care companies, government and employers
- Prepares, reviews, and supports negotiations of contracts for complex transactions with other providers and payors, incorporating state and federal health care regulatory requirements, as necessary
- Prepares, reviews, and supports negotiation of contracts for services, real property, supplies, equipment, information services and software, and develops systems to facilitate contract initiation, renewal and revision to support ongoing needs of client.
- Provides legal advice and counsel to clinical staff and all levels of administrative leaders regarding medical-legal matters, including patient care, privacy, confidentiality, clinical research, medical staff matters and standards of accrediting agencies
- Provides legal advice regarding employment, bankruptcy, financing, reimbursement and tax matters
- Develops and reviews policies and procedures for business and clinical functions
- Advises administration and management regarding corporate, business, and operational issues, including employee relations and personnel management
- As approved in accordance with department policy, assigns work to and supervises outside counsels performance of work
- Demonstrates consistent use of sound judgment, objective analytical skills and strong interpersonal skills that build effective working relationships
- Demonstrates high degree of responsiveness
- Consistently complies with and supports system and department policies, procedures, and protocols including, without limitation, annual mandatory influenza vaccination
- Maintains professional competency, according to department policies, procedures, and protocols
- Ability and commitment to quickly learn and consistently utilize contract and document management software
At Novant Health, one of our core values is diversity and inclusion. By engaging the strengths and talents of each team member, we ensure a strong organization capable of providing remarkable healthcare to our patients, families and communities. Therefore, we invite applicants from all group dynamics to apply to our exciting career opportunities.
This role is based in either Charlotte, NC or Winston-Salem, NC
- Education: Undergraduate degree from a recognized college or university, and Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited law school. Admission to the bar of at least one state or the District of Columbia, preferably in North Carolina and/or Virginia required.
- Experience: At least five years of practice in health care law including expertise in Stark, Anti-kickback, HIPAA, the Civil Monetary Penalties Law, and Medicare Conditions of Participation required.
- Licensure/certification: Admission to and member in good standing of the Bar of at least one US jurisdiction and eligible for the North Carolina Bar in-house exception required.
Additional Skills Required:
- Able to work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to handle unusual, demanding and unrelated tasks
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to balance multiple competing priorities and maintain high degree of responsiveness to client needs
- Deep skills in all aspects of document formatting and use of contract and document management system
It is the responsibility of every Novant Health team member to deliver the most remarkable patient experience in every dimension, every time.
- Our team members are part of an environment that fosters team work, team member engagement and community involvement.
- The successful team member has a commitment to leveraging diversity and inclusion in support of quality care.
- All Novant Health team members are responsible for fostering a safe patient environment driven by the principles of “First Do No Harm”.
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Click here to get started.