For more information about CECO, please visit www.cecoenviro.com
The Assistant General Counsel Litigation, Risk and Compliance will serve as the attorney for multiple business units serving clients in the oil & gas, chemicals, mining, minerals, and heavy process industries. The candidate will be expected to be a senior legal adviser and business partner to CECOs operations and sales organizations and will work closely with other members of management, HR, IT, etc. The candidate will be a hands-on lawyer and a strategic thinker who thrives in a matrixed environment of highly educated, highly motivated professionals. The Assistant General Counsel Litigation, Risk and Compliance will have extensive experience leading regulatory matters and investigations, designing and implementing global processes to manage litigation, and managing ethics and compliance programs. This position reports to the SVP, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The major responsibilities of the position are listed below. To perform the job successfully, the individual must be able to execute each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties, assignments, and specific projects may be assigned at the discretion of executive management.
- Oversee the companys Litigation and Risk Center of Excellence, which includes serving as internal lead for all pre-litigation, litigation and alternative dispute resolution, identifying potential litigation or regulatory risk, and providing counsel to minimize exposure. Direct and oversee outside counsel and other legal professionals assisting with the same.
- Oversee the companys Ethics and Compliance Center of Excellence, including advising on legal issues involving government and regulatory compliance and providing guidance to ensure documents, projects, processes, and company initiatives comply with regulatory and legal requirements and company policies. Direct and oversee outside counsel and other legal professionals assisting with the same.
- Oversee the companys Labor and Employment Law Center of Excellence, including advising on labor and employment law issues, providing direct support to the human resources department, and negotiating, and drafting and interpreting agreements that involve labor and/or employment law issues. Direct and oversee outside counsel and other legal professionals assisting with the same.
- Provide transactional support on a global basis for a variety of business functions including Sales, Marketing/Digital, IT, Real Estate, Supply Chain/Logistics, Production, Finance, and HR, including assisting with review and approval of commercial contracts within these areas.
- Implement, monitor and support corporate and commercial policies and procedures.
- Build relationships with business partners by providing timely, concise, and commercially focused legal advice.
- Assist with legal department administrative functions to include legal budgeting and timely auditing and allocation of all legal expenses, tracking and reporting, significant item reporting and internal investigation reporting.
- Other job duties as assigned by the SVP, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- JD from an ABA accredited law school, excellent academic credentials, and an active license to practice law in Texas.
- 10-15 years experience at a law firm and/or in-house. Experience with an international public company and familiarity with global business practices is preferred.
- 3-5 years in a corporate law firm setting, with some international litigation experience preferred.
- Superior analytical and writing skills and compelling oral communication skills, including the ability to negotiate and document transactions.
- Ability to direct and manage activities of, and relationships with, outside counsel.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to effectively balance competing demands under time pressure in a changing, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to make decisions and operate independently to evaluate legal risks and provide practical, business-oriented solutions.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
PHYSICAL DEMAND AND WORK EFFORT
- Typing, sitting, standing, walking.
- Concentrated mental and/or visual attention. The work involves performing complex tasks to very close accuracy and quality specifications; or a high degree of hand and eye coordination for sustained periods.
- The job is typically performed under comfortable working conditions; any disagreeable elements are generally absent during normal performance of job.
- Compliance with company attendance standards.