What You’ll Do
We have an exciting opportunity for a lawyer to join the Cisco Legal team as an attorney supporting Ciscos Components Business.
In this role:
- support starts at product inception and goes through the complete product development lifecycle.
- You will provide end-to-end legal leadership and guidance from supply-chain thru go-to-market.
- Youll work closely with cross-functional teams around the globe, including product management, engineering, business development and go-to-market teams who support a rich portfolio of best in class optics products.
- Youll also partner with subject matter experts within Legal to provide business driven counsel across the product suite.
- Your work will focus on legal counseling primarily in the areas of data privacy and security, intellectual property rights, market access and related regulatory issues.
- You will also play a meaningful role in shaping and implementing policies that help the Legal team improve go-to-market motions and scale as Cisco continues to grow and evolve its optics businesses.
- Youll serve as a trusted advisor to management and other supporting functions, by deeply understanding Ciscos Component Business strategy and priorities.
- Advise on business policies and practices and research and present on key legal/contract issues affecting Ciscos Component Business.
Who You’ll Work With
During any given week you may also work with our Sales Legal team to respond to customer or partner product transactions, educate customers and partners about the legal framework that supports our product portfolio, partner with Ciscos regulatory or privacy counsel to improve and create new product development processes, and work with corporate development teams to integrate newly acquired businesses.
The Product Counsel team differentiates itself through a deep understanding of Ciscos products and offers. We serve as the primary Legal interface with Engineering and the commercial teams that build Cisco products. This role will have responsibility for supporting Ciscos Components. Daily work includes:
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with product development and engineering teams and advising multiple levels of management on legal issues, including executive level support.
- Developing a strong understanding of product functionality and applicable legal/regulatory limitations.
- Assisting with acquisition and integration of products, content, services and technologies, including due diligence, for newly acquired technologies and businesses.
- Building cross-functional relationships with operations, finance, supply chain, IP and other members of the Legal team to help drive product development.
- Advising the business on strategic legal issues with a laser business focus.
- Providing product expertise to other teams within Legal in connection with customer escalations.
Who You Are
- Ability to Positively Disrupt. You have the ability to understand new business models. You are not influenced by prior business processes or procedures, but can adapt, change, or create anew. You are a change agent who can clearly articulate these issues and their repercussions in a constructive manner and take full ownership of identifying and implementing new or innovative ways of doing things.
- Critical Thinking. You have a track record of conducting a careful and thoughtful analysis of complex legal and business agreements and the ability to weigh and articulate the risk and reward of various scenarios in a business-friendly manner.
- Organizational Abilities. You have well-developed organizational and prioritization abilities allowing for the smooth and simultaneous management of multiple projects with complex and demanding deadlines.
- Communication and Influence. You have strong communication skills, including the ability to expertly and concisely communicate (in writing and verbally) complex legal and business issues with senior staff both inside and outside the company.
- Adaptability. You are comfortable working in a dynamic environment and demonstrate the ability to optimally handle frequent changes in priorities, deadlines, and workload.
- Business/Legal Knowledge. You understand contracting principles and their impact on the business, finding creative solutions to issues.
- Continuous Learning. You have a natural curiosity and hunger to learn and to apply that learning to specific tasks to improve your work and the work of others around you. We are looking for good basic skill level present in an early-in-career transactional attorney or contracting professional along with a strong desire to continue to improve existing key competencies.
- Relationship Management and Customer Centricity. You are a relationship builder. Whether its building relationships with customers, clients, support team members, suppliers, or partners, you demonstrate an ability to build credibility, advocate, influence and become a trusted adviser to help achieve the goals of Cisco and our customers. You approach your work with a healthy dose of customer centricity appropriate to the situation, meaning you remember to always keep a pragmatic focus on what helps Cisco best address the needs of our customers.
- Detailed knowledge of commercial, IP and business law. Understanding of and experience in supply-chain, manufacturing, logistics, tax and financial principles common to a US-based publicly traded company is a plus.
- The ability to read and understand complex agreements.
- The ability to draft language for a broad range of issues and contracts, including but not limited to licensing, warranties, indemnities and limitations of liability.
- Experience negotiating business transactions, including complex business transactions.
Our ideal candidate will have the following experience, skills and abilities:
- 5+ years of experience working in one or more companies with an optics, computer hardware or network component pedigree and familiarity with the operational, legal and business issues presented by selling hardware component products.
- Experience in manufacturing industry a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate and draft complex agreements to a specific goal with little supervision. (Drafting test will be coordinated to all finalists for this role). Creative mindset with the ability to use design thinking and other tools to innovate and problem solve.
- Ability to operate effectively in a team environment and pursue common goals. Commitment to deliver exceptional customer service to internal clients and external customers, including anticipating and responding to customer/client requirements and consistently meet commitments and deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to be a change agent and readily embrace new and innovative approaches.
- Executive presence and good communications skills.
- Ability to operate efficiently in an environment heavily dependent on e-enabled tools and communications systems, including high proficiency in and effective use of basic desktop applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Working knowledge of Ciscos technology, industry and strategic direction.
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an expansive future for all.
We adopt digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think were old (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but were also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do you cant put us in a box!
But Digital Transformation is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Dont care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? Thats cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.