Edelman provides public relations counsel and strategic communications services which enable our clients to build strong relationships and to understand and impact upon attitudes and behaviors. We are a client-focused enterprise, comprised of a collaborative network of strategic communication professionals and the processing of personal data is a critical priority in our business.
As Senior Counsel, you’ll play an important role in Edelmans global privacy ecosystem by helping to lead implementation of its global privacy program and shepherd its evolution. You’ll serve as a subject matter expert and primary point of contact for colleagues regarding privacy matters and collaborate with, other members of the privacy team, including the General Counsel, Global Chief Privacy Officer and Global Compliance Officer to ensure ongoing compliance with company, client and legal policies and requirements.
You will guide teams in the development and implementation of compliant data-driven products and services and work closely with the Global Chief Data and Analytics Officer and his team.
We are looking for someone with expertise in privacy compliance, project management and digital technology, as well as strong communication skills to effectively communicate compliance requirements while advancing the best interests of the business. This role requires the ability to work effectively across multi-functional teams in order to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with other partners in a large and decentralized organization. If this sounds like you, please read on!
- Main point of contact for responding to internal inquiries related to privacy matters with timely and meaningful communications.
- Analyze and support new and existing business offerings and engagements for privacy and security compliance.
- Help incorporate privacy by design into the development of data-driven products and services.
- Work collaboratively with client teams, IT, compliance, finance, legal and other key stakeholders to appropriately document compliance.
- Prepare and update Data Protection Impact Assessments and template contractual documents.
- Assist with annual internal assessments and client/vendor assessments.
- Assist in the development and update of privacy training materials and other relevant internal communications.
- Work cross functionally with IT and compliance in responding to potential security incidents, client and consumer requests regarding personal data and/or confidential information.
- Advise senior management on GDPR, CCPA and other changes in the data privacy and security regulatory landscape, to develop compliance strategies.
- 8+ years of direct, relevant experience in the field of privacy with a focus on B2B and B2C services.
- Understand global privacy frameworks, most importantly GDPR, CCPA & Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).
- Hold a Juris Doctor, be licensed to practice and have held a counsel role in a corporate environment.
- Familiarity with advertising industry guidelines, e.g. NAI, DAA a plus.
- Be able to communicate– including the ability to effectively translate data privacy compliance requirements into understandable business guiderails.
- Be able to quickly issue spot and assist in prioritizing and elevating issues in accordance with risk and business objectives.
- Be responsive. We are in a fast-paced business.
- Be collaborative. We are all self-starters, but often work in teams.
- Be organized. We need to manage many projects and multi-task.
- Be inquisitive. We ask good questions to understand goals.
- Be a strategic thinker. We find unique and creative solutions to meet our clients goals.
- Be practical, but firm when needed. We still need to comply and keep to timelines and budgets.
- Be fun. Just because.
Edelman is a global communications firm that partners with businesses and organizations to evolve, promote and protect their brands and reputations. Our 6,000 people in more than 60 offices deliver communications strategies that give our clients the confidence to lead and act with certainty, earning the trust of their stakeholders. Our honors include the Cannes Lions Grand Prix for PR; Advertising Ages 2019 A-List; the Holmes Reports 2018 Global Digital Agency of the Year; and, five times, Glassdoors Best Places to Work. Since our founding in 1952, we have remained an independent, family-run business. Edelman owns specialty companies Edelman Intelligence (research) and United Entertainment Group (entertainment, sports, lifestyle).
Click here to view a short video about life at Edelman.
Edelman is an equal opportunity employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.