The Attorney, Litigation is a valued member of the Litigation and Investigations team. The Attorney actively handles litigation, investigations and employment matters, and provides advice to internal departments on various issues.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Develops strategy and substantive positions in a variety of litigation and employment matters, evaluates exposure, actively negotiates settlements and separations, and recommends reserves, as needed.
- Assists in managing the internal Speak Out and whistleblower program, including process improvements.
- Evaluates shareholder demand letters.
- Assesses employment-related matters, including hiring, discipline, employee benefits, terminations, reductions in force, immigration, wage and hour rules, FLSA standards, FMLA and ADA.
- Partners with Human Resources to establish best practices for handling immigration issues.
- Conducts investigations and develops strategies to resolve internal and external complaints, administrative charges and audits.
- Represents the Company before federal and state courts, administrative agencies and/or government agencies, and prepares company witnesses for depositions and other testimony.
- Conducts complex legal research and drafts settlement agreements, separation agreements, memos, position statements, briefs, motions and other litigation and arbitration filings.
- Drafts and responds to discovery requests and subpoenas, reviews documents for responsive material, and drafts legal holds and coordinates e-discovery collection.
- Creates, updates, and reviews policies and procedures to ensure that the Company is operating in compliance with regulations and that all internal and external reporting requirements are met.
- Actively researches changing laws and/or regulations, along with trends, and provides feedback and implications.
- Advises business units on recent developments in law and policy changes.
- Provides day-to-day legal advice to business units, and proactively counsels stakeholders.
- Monitors budgets and proposes cost efficiencies, and engages with insurance carriers and tracks compliance with insurance policies and requirements.
- Works collaboratively across various Legal teams and builds and fosters relationships across all levels of the organization.
Performs other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- First or second chair litigation experience, including trials, depositions, witness interviews, arguing significant motions in court and alternative dispute resolution.
- Experience actively handling complex litigation.
- Experience counseling clients, including on internal investigations and employment matters, and working directly with insurers on covered matters.
- Experience representing public companies in shareholder litigation preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, negotiation, presentation, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively interact with all internal and external business partners, and exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to take a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives in order to achieve strategic business results.
- Proven track record of exercising initiative and crafting creative solutions to litigation problems.
- Ability to work independently, productively, and efficiently under time pressures and deadlines.
- Ability to actively engage and take ownership of matters.
- Possession of a strong business acumen, along with attention to detail. Open to feedback.
- Ability to manage a demanding workload in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to productively contribute to a team environment, and work remotely, if necessary.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office-Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
Juris Doctor from ABA accredited law school required.
Admission to the bar of at least one state required.
3+ years of relevant experience required.
Law firm experience preferred.