Under the direction of the City Attorney, assists in providing a variety of legal services for the City of Grand Prairie, its departments and employees. The role in the Prosecution division is responsible for prosecuting Class C misdemeanors in Municipal Court. The role in the Civil Division is responsible for counseling and advising the Police Department and other City departments that have a criminal enforcement component, and drafting or reviewing contracts, PIA letters, and ordinances, attending boards and commission meetings, and occasionally representing the City in litigation. Both roles will also be required to assist in all other aspects of municipal law.
This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The following examples do not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent.
This position has responsibilities that require lifting up to 10 pounds on occasion.
- (When assigned to Prosecution Division Attorney Functions):
- Represents the City in the filing and prosecution of all Class C violations by reviewing reports; preparing complaints; meeting with customers in court; reviewing the charges and advising them of options; explaining procedures of the case; interviewing witnesses; talking to police officers; filling out paperwork; trying the cases in court; and representing the City if the case is appealed.
- Provides information to other agencies and departments by providing information to defense attorneys; writing or making offers on the files; relaying offers to defense attorneys; answering questions from other departments; assisting on solving legal problems with other departments; and keeping police and others updated on any legal changes.
- Drafts reviews and updates by remaining current on changes or new information in the penal laws and City ordinances; reviewing complaints to determine if changes need to be made.
- Performs other duties as assigned by a supervisor/manager within department/division.
- Education: Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school
- Experience: Five years minimum practicing law with 3 years experience in municipal prosecution or criminal law preferred.
- Licenses: Valid Class C Driver’s License required; Licensed with the State Bar of Texas
- Certifications Required: None
- Reading: Ability to read and understand advanced literature, books, reviews, legal or technical journals, abstracts, financial reports.? Ordinarily, such education is obtained at the college level or above. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Math: Knowledge of intermediate math to deal with system of real numbers; practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios/proportions and measurement. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Writing: Ability to write at an advanced level to write editorials, journals, speeches, manuals, or critiques.? Ordinarily, such education is obtained at the college level or above. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Managerial: Within this job, the employee normally performs the duty assignment within broad parameters defined by general organizational requirements and accepted practices. Total end results determine effectiveness of job performance.
- Budget Responsibility: Has little to no budgetary responsibility.
- Supervisory / Organizational Control: Work requires the occasional direction of helpers, assistants, seasonal employees, interns, or temporary employees.
- Complexity: Work is of the broadest scope dealing with highly complex concepts or issues of great importance to the City. Highly important policies, procedures or precedents may be approved, rejected or recommended to a Department Head or CMO by individuals in this classification.
- Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills: Final decisions regarding policy development and implementation are made and/or recommended.? Interaction with others outside the City requires exercising participative management skills that support team efforts and quality processes.