To defend clients in an ethical and professional manner, and support the house counsel office supervisor in the day to day office operations.
- Defend clients in pending litigation throughout the entire assigned state, auto travel may be necessary, including occasional overnight travel.
- Comply with all State Bar ethical standards and requirements expected of an attorney in good standing.
- Work and communicate with Grange claims legal personnel in a prompt and efficient manner on all assigned litigation files.
- Maintain pending and closed litigation files in an efficient, professional and standardized manner, per the House Counsel protocols (both electronic and paper files).
- Participate in quality assurance reviews of assigned files and house counsel office procedures.
- Assist the Office Supervisor and House Counsel Manager maintain and distribute recurring management reports for the house counsel office.
- Assist the Office Supervisor with the training of less experienced associate defense attorney(s) in the house counsel office.
- Assist the Office Supervisor with the training of the paralegals in the house counsel office.
Must be a member of the Ohio Bar with at least seven to nine years of experience in insurance defense. Must be able to litigate and defend clients in both state and federal court. Must be able to litigate and defend both tort/negligence actions and coverage disputes throughout entire assigned state. Candidate must have both personal and commercial lines experience and knowledge. Must possess thorough knowledge of claim values, including bodily injury claims and commercial claims and have a comprehensive knowledge of the laws of negligence and insurance contracts. Experience should demonstrate initiative to improve his/her operation and adapt to the demands of a trial/litigation office and environment. Good analytical, organizational, legal research and communication skills required. Valid state drivers license required, as extensive auto travel may be necessary. Good knowledge of Windows suite of products (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) preferred.