About Opendoor:Are you intrigued by the thought of disrupting a trillion dollar industry through technology? At Opendoor, were on a mission to make it simple to buy and sell homes. The traditional process is broken, with an average home taking over 90 days to sell and costing thousands of dollars. We empower everyone with the freedom to move by making buying and selling a home stress-free and instant. Weve built an exceptional team, seen strong growth, served over 80,000 customers (with an annual run rate of $5 billion), and raised $1.3 billion in funding. With Covid-19, the world is changing, and real estate is no exception. The coming years present a tremendous opportunity for innovation as we explore new frontiers and scale nationwide.
Were looking for a versatile and intellectually curious senior legal counsel to support Opendoors compliance program, with a focus on mortgage. Counsel in this role will help develop and oversee the compliance program for Opendoors affiliated mortgage lender, Opendoor Home Loans, and provide day-to-day compliance advice to the mortgage team.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders to diagnose and address business unit and role-specific compliance needs
- Partnering with product and operational business teams at Opendoor to ensure our products, marketing, and processes comply with law and put our customers first
- Interfacing with regulators and public authorities as needed, including supporting company positions by developing responses to compliance complaints, investigations, and administrative proceedings.
- Remaining up to date on regulatory changes and mortgage industry best practices and keep the mortgage team apprised of such changes
- Developing and conducting trainings on compliance topics
- Coordinating and overseeing internal compliance audits
- Drafting, implementing, and maintaining policies and procedures
- Overseeing company and individual licensing
- Applying expertise to new and potentially disruptive ideas
- Advising on day-to-day compliance matters and be a calm resource in case of escalations
Were looking for teammates who have:
- A JD and a minimum of eight (8) years of legal experience. In-house experience with a rapidly growing consumer-facing technology company, or significant experiencing advising such companies, is preferred.
- Membership in the California, Arizona, or Texas Bar (in good standing) or eligibility to register as Registered In-House Counsel. While full-time remote work is acceptable, ability to commute to Opendoors San Francisco, Phoenix, or Plano office is a plus.
- Knowledge of and experience applying statutory frameworks and mortgage industry guidelines (e.g., TILA, RESPA, ECOA, GLBA, UDAAP, TCPA, CAN-SPAM, CCPA).
- Experience with data security and data-sharing between affiliates.
- Experience with mortgage company and loan officer licensing.
- Experience with or interest in the real estate and consumer finance industries. Were passionate about our mission to transform the home buying, selling, and financing experience.
- Experience with and enthusiasm for using technology to enhance lender operations and the borrower experience
More About UsWant to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:– Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 70% coverage for dependents- Flexible vacation policy- Commuter Benefit stipend- Generous parental leave- Paid time off to volunteerPlease note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor values OpennessOur team celebrates our diverse backgrounds. We believe that being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better. Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.