This position is located in the Department of Homeland Security, United States Coast Guard, Director of Operational Logistics, Base Portsmouth, Portsmouth, VA.
Learn more about this agency
This position serves as the Maintenance Mechanic and is responsible for performing work in the following trades, working knowledge of the standard methods and techniques of various maintenance trades such as plumbing, carpentry, painting, masonry, welding, electrical, HVAC and sheet metal work.
Being a CG civilian makes you a valuable member of the CG team. Typical work assignment include:
- Making minor repairs to domestic and commercial oil heating units and systems, hot air furnaces, low-pressure hot water and steam boilers, air-conditioning chillers and blowers, and controls and circulators.
- Performing a variety of minor electrical tasks including wiring and rewiring circuits, installation of lights, motors, controls and outlets, replacement of fuses and worn out equipment, disconnecting/reconnecting common household equipment such as dishwashers and bathroom fans.
- Repairing or renew fresh water lines, clear obstructions in plumbing systems, repair or replace plumbing fixtures, water closets, tubs, and showers.
- Performing a variety of minor carpentry tasks including minor repairs or modifications to wood and wood substitute items in order to make necessary repairs to building interiors and exteriors.
- Operating and perform routine maintenance and minor repairs on several different classes of tractors, yard equipment, mowers and other motor vehicles.
- Performing other related duties assigned including: Minor touch up painting and painting repairs, repairs to minor cracks in plaster/sheet rock, cleans paintbrushes.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- The position requires a valid state driver's license.
- Applicant is required to meet the physical requirements of the position.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
Applicants will be evaluated on their ability to perform the duties of the position rather than the length of experience. Eligibility will be determined by the relevance, scope, and quality of all experience and training, regardless of where or how acquired.
Applicants will be rated and ranked based on their knowledge of the following job elements:
-Ability to do the work of the position without more than normal supervision (Screen out Element)
-Knowledge of equipment assembly, installation, repair, etc
-Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)
-Ability to interpret instructions, specifications, etc. (includes blueprinting reading)
-Use of Measuring Instruments
-Ability to use and maintain tools and equipment
-Knowledge of materials
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience): Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
This position does not have a positive education requirement.
Applicants will be required to complete questions contained on the Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306) at the time a tentative job offer is made. Certain responses on the form could pose a problem with suitability for employment determinations. If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete/make updates to the OF-306 and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, or imprisonment.
DHS uses e-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about e-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities at click here
Recruitment incentives may be authorized.
All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit.
The Department of Homeland Security encourages persons with disabilities to apply, to include persons with intellectual, severe physical or psychiatric disabilities, as defined by 5 CFR § 213.3102(u), and/or Disabled Veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30 percent or more as defined by 5 CFR § 315.707. Veterans , Peace Corps / VISTA volunteers , and persons with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. If you are a member of one of these groups, you may not have to compete with the public for federal jobs. To determine your eligibility for non-competitive appointment and to understand the required documentation, click on the links above or contact the Servicing Human Resources Office listed at the bottom of this announcement.
More than 1 selection may be made from this announcement if additional identical vacancies in the same title, series, grade, and unit occur within 45 days from the date the certificate was issued.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for the application and hiring process, please contact 202-795-6308. Decisions on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. Visit Reasonable Accommodation
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The U.S. Coast Guard system simplifies the Federal application process by replacing the former JOB ELEMENT statements with on-line self-assessment questions. Your resume and responses to the self-assessment questions are an integral part of the process for determining your qualifications for the position. Therefore, it is important to support your responses to the self-assessment questions by providing examples of past and present experience in your resume. We will review your résumé and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the qualification requirements. If you meet the qualifications, we will use the on-line assessment questions to place you in one of the following categories:
1. Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
2. Well Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
3. Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities. Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they are qualified.
Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category.
For information on veterans' preference, click here.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
Credentialing , Suitability/Fitness
1. Your resume
2. Your responses to the online questionnaire
3. If you are qualifying based on education, submit a legible copy of your unofficial college transcript from an accredited college/university. The transcript copy must reflect the college/university name and/or logo. Applicants are highly encouraged to proactively order a copy of their official transcripts to be delivered to their home address so transcripts will be readily available if selected. If selected, you will be required to provide official transcripts prior to establishing your start date. Foreign education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet federal qualification requirements if you can show that your foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited institutions in the U.S. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence with your application. See Recognition of Foreign Qualifications click here.
4. If you are claiming special priority selection rights under the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), you must submit a copy of your agency notice, most recent performance rating and most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, noting your current position, grade level and duty location. If you have never worked for the federal government, you are not ICTAP eligible. To be considered eligible, you must be placed in the well-qualified category for this position. Please see ICTAP eligibility.
5. If you are claiming veterans' preference, please submit the following documents. Please see Feds Hire Vets for detail.
a. Veterans claiming 5 point veterans' preference must submit legible Member 4 Copy DD214(s) indicating Character of Service. 5-point preference will not be granted if appropriate documentation is not submitted with your application.
b. 30% Disabled Veterans must submit their Member Copy 4 DD-214(s), which includes Character of Service, and VA Disability Letter with percentage of disability OR documentation of disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces which reflects a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more.
c. Other 10 point Preference Eligibles must submit applicable Member Copy 4 DD-214(s), which includes Character of Service, and provide documentation of your other 10 point preference. If claiming 10 point preference, you must provide required documentation described on the back of the SF-15 which proves that you are entitled to such preference. 10-point preference will not be granted if appropriate documentation is not submitted with your application.
d. If you are a current active duty military member who does not have a DD214 and is claiming preference under the Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) Act, you must submit certification from the Armed Forces indicating that you will be discharged or released under honorable conditions from active duty within 120 days from the date on the certification. Certifications must be on letterhead from the appropriate military branch and include the following information: military dates of service and expected discharge or release date, character of service, military rank, type of discharge and date when terminal leave will begin. Certifications must be signed by, or by direction of military members' military personnel offices, unit commanders or higher headquarters.
6. OPM must authorize employment offers for former or current Political Appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C or Non-Career SES employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information. Submit proof of your former or current status, such as your SF-50. Please see here.
All documentation as outlined above must be received by the closing date of the announcement. If you are unable to submit your documents electronically, you may fax or mail the documents. A fax cover sheet will be provided to you from the system, with fax number and instructions to transmit the requested documents. The required documents will also be accepted by mail and must be received by the closing date of the announcement. The mailing address is COMMANDANT (CG-123SE), ATTN OFFICE OF CIVILIAN HUMAN RESOURCES (JOBS), US COAST GUARD, 2703 MARTIN LUTHER KING JR AVE SE, STOP 7912, WASHINGTON, DC 20593-7912.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.