ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
BRENNTAG, the global leader in chemical distribution, has an immediate opening for a Senior Corporate Counsel/Associate General Counsel depending upon experience.
This addition to our corporate legal department is necessary to support our continuing growth. Reporting to the General Counsel, the successful candidate will lead and be responsible for commercial contracting, real estate and M&A matters within the department. This position can be remotely located. Travel may be required to be an effective partner to the business.
The key to being successful in this position is being a trusted advisor to the GC and an effective business partner and legal counselor to all of our myriad businesses. Also critical is a collaborative and creative mindset which allows you to advise the business on legal solutions that will allow the business to grow as it enters new markets and continues to serve existing markets.
- Advise the Corporate Development team and other business units across Brenntag NA on mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and strategic investments in North America.
- Lead and coordinate the delivery of high-quality legal counsel across all business development activities from inception to closing for all types of transactions
- Collaborate with Business Development leaders, Corporate and Regional Finance teams to creating effective proactive partnerships and collaborations
- Draft, negotiate and participate in the review of various transaction documents associated with M&A and strategic investments, with support from outside counsel as appropriate
- Work with the business and legal team in structuring complex transactions; identify risks and concerns while presenting potential alternatives and solutions to challenging deal matters and business issues
- Effectively present solutions and challenge thinking to ensure deal decisions result in the intended benefits for Brenntag
- Oversee due diligence and work collaboratively with multiple cross-functional teams including proactive partnerships to ensure subject matter experts are included as appropriate
- Collaborate and coordinate activities within a decentralized structure with a keen ability to partner effectively across functions and geographies gaining credibility and confidence throughout the transactional process
- While an individual contributor, manage and hold others accountable for seamless execution throughout the process and varied workstreams (such as permitting, filings, regulatory approvals, potential integration planning, regional deal implementation activities)
- Provide legal support for corporate governance, treasury, securities and entity management activities, as needed
- Work closely with sales, marketing, operations, finance and other stakeholders to structure, draft and negotiate commercial agreements to support the product and services sales, marketing and operations of the company.
- Be the advocate, advisor and trusted business partner to our internal teams to address and provide practical legal solutions to commercial issues.
- Develop and maintain strong, professional working relationships with the sales and operations organizations and other internal stakeholders.
- Engage and collaborate cross-functionally with other business units at all levels throughout the organization to ensure that agreements adequately protect the companys interests.
- Interpret contract requirements, obligations and risk exposure and advise the business as to the appropriate course of action.
- Work with the business to shape new product and service offerings and create and document adequate contractual provisions to support new business activities and growth.
- Help lead the continuous improvement in the way we do business by up leveling our standard forms of agreement, contracts playbooks and other legal processes.
- Manage a corporate paralegal and provide guidance and mentorship to others within the team
- Manage external counsel in accordance with outside counsel guidelines.
- Completion of law school with a Juris Doctor degree and admission to the bar and in good standing in at least one jurisdiction in the United States.
- 12+ years of experience as a corporate transactions attorney focused on M&A and investments with deep commercial contracting expertise.
- At least five years of experience with a top tier national or international law firm.
- Experience with M&A and investments and commercial contracting involving manufacturing or distribution companies.
- Familiarity with a wide variety of transaction types (e.g., public company, private company, stock purchase, asset purchase, cross-border, etc.) and deep knowledge of commercial contracting.
- Demonstrated successful leadership and collaboration with colleagues and ability to develop business solutions with effective presentation of business risks and anticipated outcomes
- Exceptional analytical skills, decision-making abilities
- Proven ability to prioritize and manage simultaneous deadlines and priorities
- The ability to read legal documents in Spanish, although not a requirement, is also preferred. Ability to work independently or lead a small team of attorneys and/or business colleagues while being able to contribute successfully to cross-functional teams.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues and take a business-oriented approach while identifying and balancing legal risks and providing succinct, accurate and pragmatic advice.
- Exceptional analytical skills, independent judgment, a desire to learn, and an ability to take on and prioritize a wide variety of complex matters.
- Outstanding relationship-building skill and collegial approach to all matters.
- Can-do attitude, able to work under pressure, tight deadlines and to manage the expectations of clients.
- This position can be located in either Wayne or Reading PA or a home office nearby.
- We aim to create an environment where the best people want to work, where they can turn their passion into their job and realize their full potential
- Individual development, on-the-job training, and development programs designed to help our employees grow in their careers
- Competitive pay and incentives
- Various healthcare plan options as well as 401(k)
We look forward receiving your application.
Brenntag provides equal employment opportunities to qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.