Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., one of the 2020 Best Places to Work in San Diego, is located in the North San Diego County city of Carlsbad. Ionis was founded in 1989 and was purposely designed to create a better, more efficient drug discovery platform, establish a new innovation-centered business model, and maximize the value of every medicine created and get it to the people who need it most as quickly and as efficiently as possible.
With the RNA molecule as the basis of our novel drug discovery platform, we are targeting an unprecedented range of therapeutic areas. Our antisense therapies are disrupting diseases and changing their coursefrom the rarest of conditions, to those that impact millions of people. We currently have three commercial products and more than 40 potentially transformative medicines in our pipeline designed to treat a broad range of diseases.
Ionis is a challenging, motivating and rewarding environment designed to foster innovation and scientific excellence. Our success is a direct result of our outstanding employees. We are interested in bringing together individuals with different skill sets into this creative environment to be part of a productive team. Join us and experience our unique culture while you develop and expand your career.
IN-HOUSE PATENT ATTORNEY, ORGANIC CHEMISTRY OR BIOCHEMISTRY
Ionis seeks a Director level patent attorney to assist in developing global IP strategies and managing day to day intellectual property efforts to support the companys innovative antisense technology. The successful candidate will be responsible for a wide range of intellectual property related matters with an emphasis on medicinal and process chemistry patent preparation and prosecution, agreement review, and strategic counseling.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identifying inventions, drafting and prosecuting patent applications, managing a global patent portfolio relating to nucleoside chemistry, manufacturing processes, and antisense platform technology
- Advising internal clients on wide range of intellectual property related matters
- Conducting strategic IP analysis and due diligence, including analyzing third-party patent portfolios
- Communicating and aligning with external collaborators and strategic partners in connection with developing a global IP strategy
- Providing patent litigation and transactional support
- Managing the use of outside legal counsel globally
- Supervising and managing the professional development of patent professionals
- J.D. and admission to practice law in any US state or the District of Colombia, admission in California preferred
- Registered to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office
- Graduate degree in organic chemistry or biochemistry, Ph.D. strongly preferred
- At least 8 years of experience patenting in the chemical and biochemical arts, some experience with a law firm preferred
- Experience in patent preparation, U.S. and foreign prosecution, IP due diligence, and strategic counseling
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- High degree of professionalism and ethical standards
- Excellent judgment and problem-solving abilities
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to independently oversee legal matters, manage other patent professionals, manage the use of outside legal counsel, and work collaboratively with research and business leads
- Ability to set and meet aggressive deadlines, handle multiple complex legal matters, and complete projects in a timely manner
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
For more information about Ionis and to apply for this position, please visit our website, www.ionispharma.com. Reference Requisition #IONIS02361
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and all its subsidiaries are proud to be EEO employers.