EDF Renewables North America, a subsidiary of EDF Renewables, is a leading North American independent power producer boasting over 30 years of experience across a broad spectrum of services. Our mission is to deliver renewable solutions to lead the transition to a sustainable energy future.
The Senior Counsel will work closely with the Companys General Counsel to support the Companys electric vehicle charging affiliate, Powerflex Systems (Powerflex). Specifically, the role will involve supporting Powerflexs Business Development and Project Implementation teams with contract drafting, review and execution, and general legal advice with a focus on networked electric vehicle charging equipment sales, installations and services, and potentially the direct sale of solar and solar+storage systems (master service agreements, EPC contracts). The Senior Counsel ideally will have relevant legal experience in the energy and/or technology sectors, knowledge of renewable construction and software business models and contracts, and the ability to work successfully with team members in a fast-paced work environment. Senior Counsel should be self-driven, able to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously, and be comfortable interfacing and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders, including external counsel and third parties, customers, facility owners, utility and regulatory officials, and other strategic partners. Responsibilities extend across all areas of Powerflex, concentrating on Business Development and Project Implementation. You will have sufficient legal knowledge and experience to be able to provide direct, relevant, and timely advice to internal stakeholders or to know how to find and convey that advice. Senior Counsel will be team-oriented and will demonstrate strong reasoning and communication skills, both oral and written.
25% Draft, review, and develop contracts including master service agreements and corresponding work orders, EPC and subcontractor agreements, and related contracts in connection with Powerflexs sale, installation, and operation of networked electric vehicle supply equipment in various markets within the United States. Negotiate and implement these contracts, including management of multiple work streams and driving complex legal negotiations to support the business development and project development and work with specialist outside counsel, as needed.
20% Review and advise on Powerflex responses to requests for proposals and bids relating to networked electric vehicle supply equipment.
20% Provide general support on Powerflex legal matters across all business and administrative departments; interpret and apply legal requirements to the business, in particular, laws, regulations and rules relating to business activities as well as implementation of policies, training, or other processes.
15% Proactively identify risk and issues, relative to the Powerflexs business development and project implementation efforts and intellectual property portfolio; advise management and recommend solutions for these matters; and manage contract dispute resolution through formal or informal dispute resolution channels.
10% Work with Company General Counsel and Powerflexs Business Development team to create and manage continuous improvement of internal contract forms and processes.
5% Manage various Powerflex legal compliance requirements, including corporate registrations, contractor licensing, and other matters
5% Other duties as assigned.
Supervision of Others: Possible supervision of administrative staff and outside counsel; interaction with other professionals within the Powerflex to support business development efforts.
- JD Degree and member of a State Bar Association.
- A minimum of six (6) years of relevant legal experience, or such other experience with transactions and other legal matters as will enable the individual to provide concrete and effective legal advice.
- Corporate commercial transaction, financing and/or real estate legal experience required.
- Experience in the renewable energy, EV charging or similar industry.
- Interpersonal skills, diplomacy, win-win mindset, and effective strategic relationship builder with both internal/external project stakeholders
- Influential, with the ability to become a resource for employees and internal stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills, high energy, and ability to work well in a team environment with proven attention to detail.
- Basic legal contract knowledge, including NDAs, master agreements, and EPC agreements.
- Basic technical understanding of renewable technologies.
- Time management skills with the ability to manage multiple and fast changing priorities.
- Analytical skills understand the economic, technological, development issues relating to legal work for Powerflex.
- Ability to travel upon request.
- Willingness to embrace and defend a culture of respect, communication, and accountability to thrive in a highly dynamic environment.
Physical Requirements: Possible project site or customer visits with varying terrain and weather conditions.
Working Conditions: Approximately 80% of the time is spent in the office environment, utilizing computers (frequent use of MS Word, MS Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Adobe, AutoCAD, Salesforce, etc.), telephones, and general office equipment. Up to approximately 20% of the time may be spent interacting with customers and legal consultants off-site.
Fiscal Responsibilities: Some oversight of outside counsel legal billings and management of discrete legal spend budgets as assigned.