Cvent is an exciting, fast-growing tech company that provides industry-leading software to event professionals around the world. Our suite of services – online event registration, venue selection, mobile apps, email marketing, web surveys, and targeted hotel advertising opportunities – have positioned us a major player in the estimated $565 billion global meetings and events industry.
Cvent is an exciting, fast-growing tech company that provides industry-leading software to event professionals around the world. Our suite of services – online event registration, venue selection, mobile apps, email marketing, web surveys, and targeted hotel advertising opportunities – have positioned us as a leader in the estimated $1 trillion global meetings and events industry. Our Senior Counsel will be based in Cvents Tysons Corner headquarters and essential to our continual long-term growth and our dynamic, fast-paced culture.
Cvent, Inc.s Legal Department is seeking a business-oriented Senior Counsel, Corporate & Compliance with an intrepreneurial spirit. This is a tremendous opportunity to serve as an in-house generalist. The Senior Counsel will report to Cvents Senior Vice President, General Counsel and have high visibility throughout the organization. The position requires partnering with all levels of the business, including Corporate Development, Human Resources, Sales & Marketing, Information Security, Technology, and Finance, among others, to help Cvent mitigate its risks and achieve its high-growth goals.
What You Will Be Doing:
Every day will bring new challenges and you can expect to be extremely busy. We are relying on you to stay organized and project manage a demanding workload. Your daily requirements will vary from day to day, including performing special assignments and other duties as assigned, but the work will primarily center around the following key areas:
- Ensure compliance and assist product teams and marketing on issues related to privacy and data protection laws in the North America (e.g. CCPA, PIPEDA, etc.), Europe (e.g., GDPR, PECR, ePrivacy Directive, etc.) and Asia-Pacific (e.g., Australia Privacy Act, etc.) regions
- Monitor the landscape of changing global privacy laws, including identifying practical changes needed to maintain compliance and mature privacy practice in roles as a processor and controller
- Provide practical recommendations to internal parties to implement privacy by design principles in creating new products, features, and marketing campaigns
- Develop and implement data security practices, including breach determination and notification processes
- Advise Human Resources on a variety of employee matters throughout the world from recruiting through separation, including application of federal and state employment regulations (e.g., ADA, FMLA, sick leave laws, etc.), internal investigations, and non-compete/IP assignment agreements
- Advise Human Resources and Finance regarding employee mobility issues
- Stay up to date on changes to employment laws, including state and local laws, and make changes and recommended updates to practices and policies, as necessary
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Provide legal advice with respect to M&A, including:
- negotiating NDAs with potential target companies
- negotiating and drafting transaction documents
- performing due diligence
- developing and managing post-acquisition integration plans
- Manage corporate governance documents, including intercompany agreements related to transfer pricing, privacy, distributions, and international expansion
- Identify and analyze legal issues and risks, and present clear recommendations in relation to the Companys international expansion
- Ensure compliance with the companys credit facility
- Stay up to date with applicable standards and regulations pertaining to our industry (software as a service) and provide insights to internal teams
- Lead training and development of programs regarding international compliance issues, such as FCPA, UK Bribery Act, OFAC and similar sanctions programs, anti-boycott laws, anti-trust, and export controls
- Update and advance companywide trainings regarding ethics, employment, and privacy
- Assist the General Counsel in managing litigation and other disputes.
- Manage LegalHelp, the Companys internal legal assistance system.
- Mature knowledge management systems, including building self-help resources for internal clients (e.g., information pages, desk guides, templates, etc.) for frequent issues
- Identify and analyze legal issues and risks, review and draft miscellaneous legal documents, present clear recommendations, and ensure legal compliance across the full spectrum of legal issues facing the company.
- Drive day-to-day transactions such as vendor agreements.
What You Need for This Position
- J.D. from an accredited law school and licensed to practice law in at least one jurisdiction and eligible for Corporate Counsel certificate from the Virginia State Bar.
- At least 5 years relevant experience; in-house preferred.
- Commitment to bring practical and commercially oriented judgment to bear in solving legal problems.
- Resilience to business scrutiny with the ability to consider alternative approaches.
- Must have prior law experience in at least three of the below general corporate law categories:
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Governance
- Sound business acumen and knowledge of the business goals and objectives as they relate to the legal matter at hand.
- A problem solver who is execution oriented and possesses a strong sense of client relationship skills.Strong multitasking skills to be able to move and track multiple projects to completion.
- Self-starter with ability to work under pressure, manage multiple projects and competing priorities, meet deadlines, and adapt to change within a growing company.
- A problem solver who looks for a responsible yes, comfortable operating when legal frameworks are uncertain, and possesses a strong sense of execution and client relationship skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail is essential.
- Demonstrated experience establishing credibility and rapport with executive-level management.
- Strong competency in drafting and measuring a broad range of compliance policies.
- Commitment to stay current on all laws and regulations relating to software as a service and B2B technology.
- Must be local to our Tysons Corner, VA headquarters office.
At Cvent we celebrate, support and are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. Were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other legally protected characteristics.
Cvent maintains a drug-free workplace.