THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a AMMUNITION & EXPLOSIVE HANDLER LEADER, Position Description Number D2279000 and is part of the VA USPFO, National Guard.
Learn more about this agency
As an Ammunition and Explosives Handler Leader, WL-6501-08, you will perform the below duties:
- Communicates instructions received from supervisor to work team, and initiates work (e.g., by assigning the immediate tasks to be performed by individual members of the group led). Ensures needed plans, drawings, material, schematics, applicable technical manuals, and tools are available, and that needed stock is available. Sees to it that there is enough work to keep everyone in work crew effective, efficient, and busy contributing significantly to the overall mission.
- Works along, side-by-side, and partners with other workers, performing the duties of an Ammunition Inspector WG-6501-08 and sets the pace of co-workers being lead. Performs the identical duties and responsibilities as the work team such as, however is not limited to: Conduct pre-issue inspection of ammunition items prior to issue. Checks each item for restrictions or suspensions. Inspects vehicles, equipment, and storage areas relating to the safety and security of Ammunition and Explosives (A&E). Advises using units on the proper procedures for completion of documentation for issue and turn-in of ammunition and residue.
- Performs receipt inspections on all ammunition and components turned in by using units.
- Assists in the inspection of ammunition, to include performing maintenance, care, preservation, shipping and storage operations, assuring compliance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), safety regulations, drawings, etc. during operations.
- Conducts visual, mechanical, functional, static or dimensional tests as required. Uses and maintains test equipment including calibration equipment. Sets up and operates specialized Ammunition Peculiar Equipment (APE).
- Validates material to assure compatibility of explosive items. Spot checks ammunition accountability, and stock accounting procedures; attends Safety Committee meetings and partners with other subject matter experts to review SOP's and prepare hazard analysis.
- Responsible for the requirements of all ammunition management documentation. Researches, analyzes, and completes the proper and required documentation of ammunition transfer records, surveillance records, ammunition condition reports, quality deficiency reports, magazine data cards and numerous other documentation and/or reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Conditions of Employment
- NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
- This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement.
- Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
- Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
- Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
WHO CAN APPLY:
GROUP I – All qualified Male/Female Enlisted Personnel (E-5/SGT – E-8/MSG) currently employed (permanent) in the Virginia Army National Guard Military Technician Program.
GROUP II – All qualified Virginia Army National Guard Male/Female Enlisted Personnel (E-5/SGT – E-8/MSG), regardless of employment status (Traditional, Military Technician or AGR). To be considered as a Group II applicant, proof of appointment/enlistment in the Virginia National Guard must be attached if the appointment/enlistment occurred within 60 days prior to, or during, the advertisement period.
GROUP III – Individuals eligible for membership in the Virginia Army National Guard.
Military Grades: Enlisted Personnel (E-5/SGT – E-8/MSG)
GENERAL EXPERIENCE : Applicant must have experience or training that has provided sufficient knowledge to successfully complete duties including but not limited to the loading, deactivating, modifying, destroying, testing, handling, placing, and discharging of ammunition, propellants, chemicals and toxic materials, and other conventional and special munitions and explosives; as well as experience or training which demonstrates the ability to lead other technicians engaged in the above duties.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE : Applicant must have at least 24 months of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the WL-07 level, or equivalent pay band in other pay systems in the Federal government. This experience may also have been obtained in the private sector, but must demonstrate that it is comparable to the WL grade indicated. This experience must include activities such as:
If you are using Education to qualify for this position,
You must provide transcripts or other documentation to support your Educational claims. To receive credit for Education, you must provide documentation of proof that you meet the Education requirements for this position.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency ( https: www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx ).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (including Month and Year, e.g., 02/2017, Feb 2017, etc.) of employment and duties performed.
2. Other supporting documents: Most recent SF50 for current Federal Technicians, Proof of Recent enlistment if enlistment in the Virginia National Guard occurred within the last 60 days
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.