Senior Counsel IP
Location Boston, Massachusetts
The Sr. Counsel IP will be an experienced patent attorney responsible for various internal and partnered biologics projects. The Sr. Counsel IP will advise on a wide range of IP matters, including patent preparation and prosecution, worldwide portfolio management, global IP strategy, patentability and freedom-to-operate analyses. The position will report directly to the IP Therapeutic Area Head for Oncology, GI, or Neuroscience, as there are positions open across the therapeutic areas.
The successful candidate will
- Represent IP in and establish rapport and positive working relationships with project/program teams by acting as their advisor on a variety of IP related issues including publication reviews, IP agreement negotiation and support, and other IP issues that arise in usual course of business
- Develop and implement strategies to protect the Companys intellectual property assets (including research findings, development candidates and other related subject matter)
- Prepare and prosecute worldwide patent applications and conduct patentability and freedom to operate assessments for discovery, development and commercial related activities
- Participate or assist with IP due diligence and IP agreement review/negotiation for Takedas investment, M&A, and partnering activities
- Directly and/or indirectly manage legal resources to complete projects in a timely and high quality manner
- Contribute to the development of consistent policies/procedures for IP Therapeutic Area, Regional or Global Functional Groups
- Identify training needs within the organization and assist in the development and presentation of training materials on relevant IP laws and related business issues
- Develop and continually expands a thorough understanding of the Companys current and planned business activities, products, competitors, and markets and keep abreast of developing legal trends, laws and regulations
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Experience in handling complex biologics IP matters including therapeutic biological molecules (e.g., antibodies, fusion proteins, peptides and nucleic acids), biologic platform activities (e.g., antibody discovery and optimization, antibody formats/reformatting), and biologics CMC activities
- 6+ years of experience practicing intellectual property law (law firm and/or in-house), preferably 3+ years of in-house experience
- Mature and professional demeanor with a high degree of self-motivation and initiative
- Strong communication and presentation skills, ability to communicate complex issues clearly and succinctly
- Sound judgment and decision-making abilities
- Strong organizational skills, including careful attention to detail and ability to handle and prioritize multiple assignments and maintain strict deadlines through effective time management
- Experience or familiarity with oncology, GI or neuroscience fields would be a plus
- Experience in handling IPRs, opposition proceedings and/or litigation would be a plus
- Degree in biology, biochemistry or related scientific degree.
- Juris Doctorate degree
- Registration before a state bar
- Registration to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Manual dexterity required to operate office equipment (i.e. computers, phones, etc.).
- Willingness to travel to various meetings or sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel will be required.
- Requires approximately 10% travel.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
Job ID R0019844