This position is for a Hematology/Oncology staff physician for the Salem VA Medical Center. The physician is directly responsible to the Chief of Medical Care Service line and accountable for the provision of direct patient care and for the delivery of quality care to a culturally diverse Veteran population with complex needs.
Learn more about this agency
The responsibilities and duties of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Chairs, participates as an active member, and/or attends medical center committees as assigned by the Chief, Hematology/Oncology and the Chief, Medical Service. The incumbent may be required to act as the delegated committee member for the Chief, Hematology/Oncology in his/her absence.
- Provides guidance and support to the nurse practitioners &/or physician assistants assigned to Medical Service.
- Participates in facility programs designed to enhance and improve the delivery of patient care services, such as Quality Assurance & Management; chart reviews; Hematology/Oncology performance measure reviews; Radiation/Oncology contract oversight; Cancer Committee; etc.
- Provides patient care to Veterans in the areas of Internal Medicine and Hematology/Oncology in the form of primary care and/or consultative care. Incumbent provides medical diagnostic evaluation and initial assessment of patient which includes focused history, physical examinations, and pertinent laboratory investigations.
- Exhibits leadership in suggesting, and, with approval by the Chief, Hematology/Oncology, instituting changes in patient care programs based on current concepts and finding from research and studies. Keeps informed of developments in the management and treatment of diseases and illness through continuing medical education, both formal and informal.
- Participates as a peer reviewer process when requested.
- Participates in the rotation as the third call attending.
- Coordinate patient care with additional consultants, including contracted Radiation/Oncology staff and/or other resources outside of the VAMC as deemed appropriate.
- Participates in the formal education of the residents, fellows and medical students by presenting teaching rounds, lectures, conferences, etc.
- Assists in conducting studies regarding treatment modalities, outcomes, and other aspects of patient care when appropriate.
- Administratively and clinically responsible to the Chief, Hematology/Oncology; Chief, Medical Service, then the Chief of Staff.
- Relationships with management, co-workers, patients, and the general public are consistently courteous, respectful, and cooperative in nature.
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday: 7:45-4:30 (on-call as required).
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
- Board-eligible or Board certified
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: The physical requirements of this position include occasional lifting; prolonged standing and sitting; frequent bending; walking (distance); climbing; reaching (overhead, extensive/repetitive); repetitive motion, and stooping. The mental/sensory requirements include recall; reasoning; problem-solving; hearing; speaking clearly; writing legibly; reading; logical thinking. The environment's pace can vary from steady to a sometimes-fast pace requiring handling of multiple priorities; frequent, sometimes intense customer interactions; and the ability to adapt to frequent changes in a sometimes-noisy environment. There may be an occasional need to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to disease, illness, and hazardous materials.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http: ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http: www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html .
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice: VHA Physician Brochure .
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of eight (8) hours per biweekly pay period.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: A formal pay-setting process will be used to determine your salary. The salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
Credentialing , Suitability/Fitness
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes (upload C.V. as resume document type):
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (VA)
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.