The Salem VA Medical Center is looking for multiple Emergency DepartmentRegistered Nurse (RNs) to support the COVID pandemic. In this position the RN is directly responsible for the provision of direct patient care and for the delivery of quality nursing care to a culturally diverse population with complex needs. Must possess the knowledge and skills of all aspects of the nursing process within a collaborative and interdisciplinary practice setting.
Learn more about this agency
The following duties and responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Leads and provides Triage based on established Emergency Care Standards utilizing the accepted Emergency Severity Index (ESI) system of acuity.
- Demonstrates an ability to function effectively in a Charge Nurse / Facilitator role requiring application of problem solving skills at the unit level; utilizes a team approach to identify, analyze, and resolve problems.
- Assigns patient care duties based on patients' needs with a clear understanding of staff competencies.
- Functions as a role model is assessing and evaluating patient status and identifying priorities of care.
- Demonstrates evidence of critical thinking skills in identifying, analyzing, and resolving patient care problems that may arise.
- Develops the initial care plan and updates the plan serving as a resource person to less experienced personnel; acts as a leader in developing standards of care.
- Understands to include the patient/Significant Other/family/other health care Providers in establishing realistic and measurable goals related to patient education and treatment plan. Assists staff in mutual goal setting.
- Demonstrates skill in Implementing Nursing and Physician Orders for patients with complex needs.
- Documents and evaluates administrative and clinical information in an accurate and timely manner.
- Documents evaluation of patient responses to interventions and progress towards attainment of set goals.
- Utilizes problem solving methodologies to resolve problems that impact patient care or staff performance.
- Utilizes the Computerized Patient Record System (CPRS) software per policy.
- Assesses the more subtle changes in a patient's condition that may indicate an impending emergency situation and takes action appropriately.
- Initiates and guides others in implementations of emergent interventions.
Work Schedule: Full Time
Tour of Duty: All Shifts/Tour TBD based on needs of facility
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 01/26/2021.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing ( ACEN ) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education ( CCNE ). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I – An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II – An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III – An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II – A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III – Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Lifting/carrying – 45 lbs or more; Standing; Sitting; Walking; Kneeling; Bending/Stooping; Twisting; Pushing/pulling, Both legs required; Simple grasping; Use of fingers, Both hands required; Fine manipulation (includes keyboarding); Reaching above shoulders; Near vision correctable at 13-16" to Jaeger 1 to 4, Far vision correction in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other eye; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of colors; Hearing whispered voice (with or without aid); Emotional/mental stability; Walking on slippery or uneven walking surfaces; Working with hands in water; Working closely with others; and Protracted or irregular hours of work.
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http: ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http: www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html .
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: Candidate's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience as an RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
Credentialing , Suitability/Fitness
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
IMPORTANT PLEASE READ: Failure to submit the documents required in the announcement WILL result in you being found ineligible for the position. Please carefully read the list below and ensure that you submit all required forms.
- VA Form 10-2850a Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists
VA Form 10-2850a – Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists can be found at: http: www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search . REQUIRED
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's (current/former Federal employees), etc.
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (VA)
- VA Form 10-2850a Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists
- Performance Appraisal
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.