Luxottica is a global leader in the design, manufacture and distribution of fashion, luxury and sports eyewear. Our wholesale network covers more than 150 countries and our retail presence consists of over 9,100 retail stores across the globe.
In North America, our wholesale business is the home to global brands like Ray-Ban, Oakley, and many of the top fashion house brands. Our leading retail brands include; LensCrafters, Sunglass Hut, Pearle Vision, Target Optical and Sears Optical. We are also home to EyeMed, the fastest growing vision care company in the United States.
Supporting over 4,500 retail stores in North America, a career in our retail headquarters allows us to stay in touch with the end customer and use their ever-changing behaviors and preferences to shape our offerings of the best eyewear and services.
The Assistant General Counsel provides legal counsel and representation to the Company with primary focus on advice and counsel in labor and employment law. Manages employment claims and litigation directly and/or through outside counsel and assists the Head of Litigation North America with a wide variety of regulatory matters. Identifies legal issues and opportunities, assesses risks, benefits and consequences of existing and proposed activities and recommends appropriate courses of action to: ensure legal compliance, build business, protect Company assets and promote Company goals, mission and values.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides labor/employment-related legal services to all business units with minimal direct supervision
- Identifies and manages outside employment litigation counsel, and manages risks of actual/threatened litigation in line with business unit initiatives and budgetary considerations, including California wage and hour actions
- Conducts or assists with internal employment-related investigations
- Regularly interacts with business management and HR personnel to provide timely business-sensitive advice and counsel on employment decisions and compliance with full range of labor/employment laws and regulations
- Drafts/revises legal documents (e.g., employment, severance, and settlement agreements, employee handbooks and policies, and regulatory disclosures)
- Communicates and negotiates with various stakeholders to accomplish goals and efficiently resolve disputes
- Provides support in developing and implementing preventive labor/employment law programs
- Provides advice on immigration matters
- Influences business unit leadership to exercise fair, compliant and ethical decision-making
- May represent Company in administrative proceedings (e.g., EEOC, DOL)
- Assists Head of Litigation North America with a wide variety of regulatory matters, particularly with respect to Retail Optical initiatives and compliance
- Supervises, trains and motivates labor/employment paralegal
- Performs additional responsibilities and special projects as needed or directed
- J.D. from an accredited law school and excellent academic background
- 8+ years of relevant experience with private law firm or corporate legal department (or a combination thereof)
- Licensed to practice law in OH or NY
- Ability to take independent and decisive action with minimal direct supervision
- Excellent writing, analytical, negotiation, problem solving, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands in a fast-paced environment
- Experience analyzing complex legal issues and communicating legal advice clearly and concisely
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy, and organizational skills
- Shows consistency among principles, values and behavior (complying with established rules, policies and procedures)
- Team player with positive attitude, a high level of professional ethics, and good legal and business judgment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite.
- Familiarity with Canadian labor/employment law
- Retail and/or optical regulatory experience
Upon request and consistent with applicable laws, Luxottica will provide reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities who need assistance in the application and hiring process. To request a reasonable accommodation, please call the Luxottica Ethics Compliance Hotline at 1-888-887-3348 or e-mail HRComplianceluxotticaretail.com (be sure to provide your name and contact information for either option so that we may follow up in a timely manner).
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, national origin, social origin, social condition, being perceived as a victim of domestic violence, sexual aggression or stalking, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship, ancestry, veteran or military status, marital status, pregnancy (including unlawful discrimination on the basis of a legally protected pregnancy or maternity leave), genetic information or any other characteristics protected by law. Native Americans receive preference in accordance with Tribal Law.