It’s an interesting time for you to come on board at Vopak! Around the world, we connect the supply of and demand for vital products and resources. Energy that allows people to heat their homes and travel the world. Food for a growing planet. And chemicals for the production of various materials. Products that are vital to peoples lives. We ensure the safe, efficient and clean storage of such vital products. The global energy transition, the growing world population, and all new possibilities of emerging technologies and new energy sources make this a very interesting time to join our company.
Vopak Americas is seeking a new corporate counsel to provide professional advice, support and guidance to all operating companies within the United States, which includes terminals located in the Texas and Louisiana (and potentially in other growth areas of the US). The areas of focus for the position will be commercial, procurement, construction, M&A, real estate, environmental and litigation. The ideal candidate will possess a strong desire to work in a small, in-house legal environment that provides the flexibility to practice across many different legal areas. The job will be based in Houston, Texas but may require the ability to travel throughout the United States (<10%).
Essential Job Functions
- Abide by all safety procedures and practices applicable to location and position; participates in appropriate safety training; demonstrates commitment to and support of SHEQ principles and values; champions safety as a top priority
- Provide professional legal support for judging and actively participating in the realization of national investments, divestments, mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures. Perform due diligence and assess data-rooms and advise staff for their go or no go decisions on the basis thereof.
- Draft, negotiate, and provide legal advice and support with respect to M&A transactions and joint ventures.
- Give well-founded legal advice and adequate support to the operating companies in a way that allows Vopak to determine strategies for achieving short term and long term objectives
- Draft and negotiate, often in cooperation with other disciplines, a wide variety of contracts and agreements, including storage contracts, business development related contracts (confidentiality agreements, letters of intent, term sheets, etc.), land leases, construction (EPC) contracts, procurement contracts and consulting agreements.
- Draft, carry out and monitor legal policies and guidelines in order to ensure that the operating companies comply with the numerous and complex laws and regulations of the regions in which they operate.
- Draft corporate governance documents.
- Develop company policies and positions on legal matters.
- Prevent and resolve legal conflicts with third parties and, if necessary, represent or have the organization represented at legal procedures in order to ensure the proper outcome while keeping emphasis on image and commercial interests of Vopak. Handle claims and complaints and inform relevant stakeholders within Vopak to avoid similar claims or complaints in the future and to minimize adverse consequences for Vopak
- Play an active role in choosing, directing and supervising external counsel
- Work on special projects for the Americas Division or other operating companies as assigned.
- Perform other duties assigned by management that fall within the generally expected scope of this position.
- Follow relevant legal developments (legislation and jurisprudence) and make suggestions and monitor follow-up on the implementation thereof.
- 7+ years of post-qualification experience
- 5 years minimum experience practicing at a mid-size to large law firm or in-house legal department
- Demonstrated experience with joint ventures or M&A transactions required
- Project finance experience preferred, but not required
- Fluency in Spanish, Portuguese or French beneficial, but not required
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding work environment
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to operate in different cultural environments
- Effective problem solving skills and results driven
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to multi-task; proven analytical skills and attention to detail
- Customer service focus; ability to deal with diverse personalities; negotiation and conflict resolution skills; ability to maintain confidentiality
- General experience drafting, analyzing and interpreting contracts
- Team building skills; knowledge of Company business preferred
- Excellent computer skills including ability to use Microsoft Office Suite, various email and internet programs and applications, legal databases or other database software, and other programs and applications used by the Company
- 4 year undergraduate degree
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) from an American Bar Association accredited law school or equivalent degree from a law school outside of the United States
- Admission to the Texas or Louisiana bar preferred, out-of-state applicants licensed in another US jurisdiction will be considered on a case by case basis
All Company Core Competencies as well as the following job specific competencies:
- Customer Focused
- Detail Oriented
- Interpersonal Effectiveness
- Dependable and Organized
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This employee generally works in an office environment, away from extremes of cold or heat. Limited to no exposure to noise and vibrations other than normal daily office sounds. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee should not have regular exposure to fumes, odors, toxic conditions, dust or poor ventilation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, sit, speak and hear. The employee is required to stand, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; the employee may be required, on occasion, to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to ten (10) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Employee may be required to travel by air, rail, bus, or car.
It is Vopaks policy to employ and administer employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status, or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of Vietnam Era and in accordance with federal and state civil rights laws.
What we offer:
Every career at Vopak is given the opportunity to shine! When you join Vopak, you can count on:
A challenging position with a high degree of responsibility in a Dutch multinational with a history over 400 years;
Highly motivated colleagues;
Room to grow through professional training and personal development opportunities at national and international level.