This position is for the Chief of Geriatrics and Extended Care (GEC) at the Salem VA Medical Center. The Chief of GEC oversees all matters related to the internal and external operations of the service ensuring that the network mission is met while operating in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policies and standards. The incumbent is a licensed, board-certified physician with advanced clinical experience as well as demonstrated administrative and leadership skills.
Learn more about this agency
The duties and responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for administrative supervision of residents and fellows assigned to GEC programs.
- Performs the administrative and personnel management function of GEC staff.
- Establishes guidelines and performance expectations for staff, which are clearly communicated through the formal employee performance management system.
- Establishes work schedules, tours of duty, and time and attendance policies to ensure the accomplishment of necessary work based on local medical center requirements, personnel regulations and available resources.
- Serves as the subject matter expert for Homemaker Home Health Aide, Adult Day Health Care, Skilled Home Health, Contract Nursing Home, Home Based Primary Care, and Community Care.
- Oversees admissions, discharge planning and case management for all clinical programs.
- Performs work related to the review, monitoring, analysis, planning and assessment of GEC programs.
- Develops and monitors GEC standards of clinical practice/standards of care including development of care guidelines, manuals and guides to professional practice.
- Determines what resources (money, staff, space, equipment) are available to meet the physical and psychosocial needs of patients and families.
- Establishes systems and procedures to monitor and control the financial resources assigned to GEC.
- Reviews the utilization of resources by performing such activities as internal reviews, data collection, reviewing and analyzing reports, reviewing contracts and reviewing performance in order to ensure that resources are being used efficiently and effectively, and reports results to management as required, both orally and in writing.
- Develops and monitors GEC staff training to ensure that required training is accomplished for purposes of maintaining ongoing skills, keeping up with new developments in the field, orientation of staff to the VA, The Joint Commission and Long Term Care Institute requirements, licensing requirements, and other VA required training.
Work Schedule: Full time; Tour of Duty: 7:45am to 4:30pm
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Incentives: This position may be eligible for a recruitment and relocation incentive (bonus) for highly qualified applicants.
Education Debt Repayment Plan (EDRP): This position is eligible for Education Debt Repayment Plan (EDRP) based upon the availability of funds. Award amounts is determined after review of complete EDRP application and supporting documentation. Final approval by the Under Secretary for Health or designated official verifies EDRP.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
- Board certification
- Administrative and clinical experience
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven leadership skills
- Embraces and initiates new treatment programs and technologies
- Effective management and operations experience
- Vision for the future
- Advocates for clinical research
- Interested in the pursuit of excellence
- Experience in physician recruitment and retention
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
The physical requirements of this position include occasional lifting; prolonged standing and sitting; frequent bending; walking (distance); climbing; reaching (overhead, extensive/repetitive); repetitive motion, and stooping. The mental/sensory requirements include recall; reasoning; problem-solving; hearing; speaking clearly; writing legibly; reading; logical thinking. The environment's pace can vary from steady to a sometimes-fast pace requiring handling of multiple priorities; frequent, sometimes intense customer interactions; and the ability to adapt to frequent changes in a sometimes-noisy environment. There may be an occasional need to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to disease, illness, and hazardous materials.
Leadership/Manager Positions: Physician leadership and manager positions may be Chief of Staff, Directors (i.e, medical center and Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN)); selected position in Central Office, Distinguished Physicians; and Service Chiefs or Service Line Managers. Positions are approved for these levels based on the scope and complexity of the assignment and the level of responsibility.
Service Chief or Line Manager:
A Service Chief or Line Manager physician must demonstrate the following:
(a) Outstanding professional ability in the practice of medicine or a medical specialty
(b) Ability to guide the development and implementation of programs within their respective domain, these programs
would include, but are not limited to medical practice, professional standards, personnel issues, quality and performance improvement.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http: ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http: www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html .
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice: VHA Physician Brochure .
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of eight (8) hours per biweekly pay period.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: A formal pay-setting process will be used to determine your salary. The salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
Credentialing , Suitability/Fitness
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes (upload C.V. as resume document type):
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (VA)
- Professional Certification
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.