Etsy is seeking an Assistant General Counsel, Payments to join its legal team. The role will advise the payments business on all aspects of its ongoing operations and expansion. The attorney will be chiefly responsible for handling product development, commercial transactions and regulatory requirements relating to Etsy Payments’ product and operations.
Etsy Payments is comprised of a complex, worldwide high-volume payments and compliance platform that is used to perform numerous functions. These functions include card and alternative payment method processing, funds disbursement, and seller ledger management, all in compliance with regional and international requirements. Currently available in 36 countries, we are seeking an experienced payments attorney to counsel on the ongoing improvement and expansion of Etsy Payments and to advise the operations on our ambitious payments strategy.
Etsy Legal is a dynamic team of lawyers working on some of the hardest technical, commercial, and regulatory problems around – we’re looking for a great payments lawyer with deep expertise to join our legal team. In this role you will work with people throughout the company to help Etsy grow in a manner that complies with payments, financial services, and other regulations that apply to Etsy across the world. You will deal with a diverse set of issues that straddle financial regulation and technology.
This position is based in Brooklyn.
- You will counsel Etsy’s business and product teams on the application of payment laws and regulations, helping us build products and expand internationally in a way that meets our obligations, as well as the needs of our community.
- Serve as Etsy’s primary financial regulatory counsel, advising on a wide range of regulatory issues across multiple international jurisdictions.
- Support the Compliance function with identifying and complying with all relevant regulatory obligations application to Etsy Payments, both within the US and internationally.
- Keep up to date with payments related regulations and card scheme rules that could impact Etsy’s operations both in the US and internationally.
- Represent Etsy on a variety of topics before regulators, banking partners, and other external audiences.
- Review, draft and negotiate various types of agreements with third parties relating to our payments business.
- Partner with stakeholders to craft legally-compliant payments products, operations, and solutions to meet Etsy’s ongoing business objectives.
- Provide practical legal advice to Etsy’s Payments team, from the initial stages of product development to launch and beyond.
- This role will work with the senior leadership at Etsy. Excellent presentation skills and a comfort with leading discussions relating to legal risk at the executive level are essential. The ability to represent Etsy’s interests externally and with regulators is also critical.
- We are a global business. This role requires an attorney with experience identifying, understanding, and managing international legal and regulatory risks related to our business. EU experience a plus.
- You have a JD and are admitted to a state bar (preferably NY or CA) and are qualified to work in-house in New York.
- You have 10-15 years of experience, with a mix of both law firm and in-house work. Your experience has focused on fintech/ecommerce/payments with specific financial regulatory experience, specifically in payments, particularly advantageous.
- You have spent time advising engineers and product managers on tech product development in a high-velocity environment.
- You have experience being the primary point of contact with clients, and taking the lead in handling the legal side of a project. You often work cross-functionally across legal, compliance, business and engineering functions.
- You are an effective communicator with executive presence — verbally and in writing. You can speak to technical experts or business leaders, whether junior engineers or the CEO, in plain English, without legal jargon.
- You should understand and be committed to Etsy’s business and mission as a global marketplace for creative entrepreneurs.
- You could work in many places, but you want to work at Etsy because you recognize that having the chance to contribute impactful work and grow a company with an amazing mission is a rare opportunity.
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your CV or resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.