This position is located in the Board of Immigration Appeals. The BIA’s primary mission is that of producing authoritative administrative case law in the form of BIA decisions, interpreting the immigration laws and laying down guidelines for the exercise of the Attorney General’s delegated administrative discretion. In addition, the BIA has appellate jurisdiction over essentially all decisions of Immigration Judges and certain decisions of DHS officers.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Reviewing and analyzing records of administrative proceedings
- Conducting needed legal research
- Drafting formal appellate orders for consideration by the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA).
- Evaluating administrative records of proceedings
- Assessing whether administrative discretion was exercised properly
- Recommending a formal legal disposition of appeals or motions under review