Associate General Counsel is a mid-level position responsible for providing legal support, guidance, and advice on complex issues arising in the Renewables (Commercial and Regulated) area for both wind and solar. The position requires independent judgment and frequent contact with clients and others internal and external to Duke Energy Corporation and its affiliates (collectively, the “Company”) under the general direction of a Deputy General Counsel.
Provide high quality and timely legal advice and counsel in support of the business unit or legal practice area of specialty. Attorney-assigned responsibility for routine legal matters including, project financing, development, general commercial matters, real estate, M&A, and major projects. The role requires the candidate possess proficient oral and written communication skills and develop relationships with clients to ensure client communication and responsiveness. Demonstrate responsiveness and teamwork within the legal department. Develop knowledge of company and industry. It is expected and preferred that this position be based in Charlotte, NC.
- Contribute to projects of significant importance to the Company from a risk, monetary or policy perspective. Work with and at the direction of the leader in the department.
- Consult with Deputy General Counsel on legal issues with significant value, or which may have economic, political or media implications for the Company.
- Manage and resolve legal matters, as lead in-house counsel, arising out of the Company’s businesses, including various renewables projects and transactions, with limited supervision and guidance.
- Provide quality, timely legal advice to management for day-to-day matters and major ongoing legal projects that fall within the incumbent’s realm of expertise.
- Research and drafs legal documents, such as contracts, corporate governance documents or other legal documents, and assists with negotiations.
- Extensive work on non-routine matters requiring a broad and thorough understanding of the Company and its business environment.
- Work to establish professional relationships within the Company related to areas of subject matter expertise.
- Frequently meet with and counsel individuals within the Company.
- Work with and manage outside counsel to maximize efficiency.
- Comply with processes to protect the company from unnecessary risks and liabilities, including all reporting requirements.
- Remain current on legal trends, laws and regulations and proactively communicate information to other attorneys in the Legal Department.
- Maintain job-related technical knowledge and skills, and in-depth knowledge of issues relating to the utility industry.
- Lead and/or serve on committees, special projects or other assignments as directed to further departmental goals.
- Periodic travel within the US will be required
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Doctor of Jurisprudence degree (JD) from an accredited law school
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience practicing law
- Licensed to practice law in North Carolina or Licensed to practice in any state in the US and eligible for comity
- Broad knowledge and experience in the energy industry
- Three or more years’ experience practicing in Renewable Energy
- Experience handling matters for public utility companies
- Knowledge of Duke Energy and its various business operations
- Experience drafting and negotiating complex commercial contracts
- Experience providing legal support for project financing transactions
- Previous experience with general development work, including real estate, title, landowner, and site planning issues
- Experience drafting and negotiating mergers and acquisitions documents
- Experience drafting and negotiating engineering, procurement and construction contracts
- Licensed to practice in North Carolina
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Experience analyzing complex matters and reducing them to manageable products and communications
- Sound judgment and decision-making
- Ability to manage multiple complex matters simultaneously
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Ability to work as a part of a team of other lawyers and business people.