Our mission as a leading investment management firm is to help our clients achieve their long-term financial goals. We believe our associates are the key to this mission and we are always looking for talented individuals who share our commitment to our client’s success.
If you’re looking for challenging work experiences and the ability to learn in a collaborative culture, we invite you to explore the opportunities available at T. Rowe Price.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Legal Counsel, Privacy & Data Protection, will be a member of the Privacy & Data Protection team whose other members are in the US and UK and will be responsible for researching and developing legal advice and counsel regarding privacy and data protection matters for T. Rowe Price on a global basis. This position requires specialized knowledge of the privacy/data protection laws of the US. Knowledge of the privacy/data protection laws of the EU and/or APAC countries is a plus, but not required.
- Working under the supervision of Senior Legal Counsel, researches and develops advice for all business units regarding privacy and data protection matters, including those arising from new product initiatives or new legal requirements. Business units supported include customer-facing business lines plus internal business lines, such as the Global Privacy Office, Enterprise Risk, HR, and IT. Works on issues around collecting, sharing and accessing personal information, marketing to customers, and providing and honoring “opt-in/opt-out” choices. Tracks and assesses new or changed laws and regulations. Works collaboratively with business units on how to implement privacy and data protection requirements and best practices, including assistance with drafting and reviewing policies and procedures. Serves as a representative on various firm-wide committees or working groups that deal with privacy, data governance, and/or technology matters. Participates in all phases of data incidents, including investigation, remediation, and notice to impacted parties and/or regulators.
- Provides support to other legal teams, including the IP & Vendor Contracts team, with reviewing, drafting, and negotiating privacy/data protection terms in a variety of contracts and legal documents for compliance with applicable laws and the firm’s practices and standards.
- Handles or provides assistance with special projects.
- Law Degree from accredited school of law and licensed to practice law by one or more US states.
- 3 years of related work experience.
- Must have specialized knowledge of privacy and data protection laws of the US; EU and/or APAC is a plus, as is prior work in the financial services industry. Also must have willingness to expand knowledge into the laws of regions outside of the US.
- Prior experience with the review and negotiation of privacy and data protection matters for a wide variety of contracts, such as technology contracts, cloud-based services, HR and benefits contracts, consulting agreements, and other similar business arrangements and contracts.
- Prior experience with practical application of privacy laws, such as through participation in privacy impact or similar assessments or privacy incidents.
- Strong writing, verbal, and communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Advanced intellectual, professional, and interpersonal agility and flexibility.
- Ability to manage successfully and prioritize effectively multiple complex matters in fast-paced environment.
- Ability to interact effectively and work in partnership with a diverse group of internal and external contacts.
- Ability to balance the needs of individual business units with a broader understanding of the objectives of the firm as a whole.
- Excellent conflict management skills.
- 3 + years of relevant experience since the date of bar admission in a private law firm or corporate legal department setting.
- Prior work relating to privacy and data protection matters in the financial services industry a plus but not required.
T. Rowe Price is an Equal Opportunity Employer