At Moderna we believe that the vaccines and therapeutics we develop will help to make the world a better place. As an established pioneer in mRNA, with a broad pipeline of development candidates, our integrated approach means we can think, act and move quickly and from investigational cancer treatments to a potential COVID-19 vaccine, we are turning innovation into impact, every day with a mission to bring transformative medicines to patients. Join our diverse, dedicated and productive team and contribute to our important mission to advance the field of mRNA science and improve treatment options for patients.
Moderna is seeking an experienced patent attorney to assist the Intellectual Property Team in building, managing, defending and enforcing the companys patent estate. This person will be responsible for supporting in-house counsel in the capturing of innovation, development of the patent estate and counseling of the internal client with regards to due diligence efforts, patentability, freedom-to-operate and other intellectual property-related matters.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on a wide range of intellectual property issues in a rapidly-growing, disruptive biotechnology company. The successful candidate will develop deep expertise in the mRNA therapeutics field to assist in all aspects of patent portfolio development and management. The qualified applicant will thrive in a fast-paced, proactive culture and competently handle the intricacies of a complex ecosystem of platform, therapeutic area and corporate partner intellectual property needs. They will capable of performing independently but will, importantly, function well as a team player in their role in supporting the advancement of critical patent and intellectual property goals of the company.
Here’s What Youll Do:
- Helping develop creative, strategic patent portfolios protecting both platform technologies and products at various stages of development
- Facilitating patent preparation and prosecution work with outside counsel to establish and expand a strong patent portfolio
- Interacting with Moderna Platform and Therapeutic Area scientists to capture innovation and serve as an expert conduit of information to outside counsel to produce high-quality patent applications
- Framing of legal arguments to support U.S. and foreign prosecution efforts
- Interaction with, and guidance of, scientists critical to advancing Modernas efforts in mRNA engineering and delivery, as well as those developing products in Modernas significant pipeline
- Directing patentability and freedom-to-operate searches and analyses around platform technologies and products
- Competitive intelligence analyses of third-party competitors, including intelligence gathering and analyses of key contenders in the mRNA therapeutic space
- Supporting Corporate transactional initiatives, negotiating complex Intellectual Property issues
- Contributing creative input into corporate strategic IP initiatives
Heres What Youll Bring to the Table:
- Juris Doctorate and admitted to practice in at least one state, Massachusetts preferred.
- At least 7+ years in-house and/or law firm experience
- B.S. degree in biological sciences with an advanced degree or a Ph.D. preferred. Experience with biotechnology innovation is important.
- Registered to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office
- Experience in patent preparation and prosecution, IP due diligence, patentability and freedom-to-operate assessment required
- Demonstrated scientific accomplishment demonstrating ability to rapidly understand therapeutic technology
- Excellent analytical, written and verbal communication skills
- Service-oriented focus with ability to work as part of cross-functional teams and drive results
- Highest integrity, judgment, and the ability to recognize and effectively communicate legal issues
Heres What Well Bring to the Table:
- On-site subsidized cafeteria or catered lunches
- Company-provided iPhone
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass
- Free annual corporate membership to Bluebikes
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
- 16 weeks 100% paid family caregiver leave
- 20 weeks 100% paid medical leave
- Eligible for Moderna Month (one month paid sabbatical after five years of service and eligible for additional one month paid sabbatical every 3 years thereafter)
- Adoption assistance and discounts to local childcare centers, as well as access to care.com
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays (includes 2 floating holidays)
Moderna is advancing messenger RNA (mRNA) science to create a new class of transformative medicines for patients. mRNA medicines are designed to direct the bodys cells to produce intracellular, membrane or secreted proteins that can have a therapeutic or preventive benefit and have the potential to address a broad spectrum of diseases. The companys platform builds on continuous advances in basic and applied mRNA science, delivery technology and manufacturing, providing Moderna the capability to pursue in parallel a robust pipeline of new development candidates. Moderna is developing therapeutics and vaccines for infectious diseases, immuno-oncology, rare diseases, cardiovascular diseases, and autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, independently and with strategic collaborators.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Mass., Moderna currently has strategic alliances for development programs with AstraZeneca PLC and Merck & Co., Inc., as well as the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), an agency of the U.S. Department of Defense, and BARDA. Moderna has been named a top biopharmaceutical employer by Science for the past six years. To learn more, visit www.modernatx.com.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is a smoke-free, alcohol-free and drug-free work environment.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a persons race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.