As a lawyer supporting digital initiatives for Citis US Consumer Banking business, this individual will work with a team of attorneys and legal professionals located in the US that provides legal guidance to regarding digital products and features and related technology solutions for the US Cards and Retail Bank businesses. This individual will be intellectually curious and eager to learn, have very strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to build strong relationships and work collaboratively across business and functional areas. The successful candidate will be able to develop an understanding of the underlying Cards and Retail Bank business activities as a whole and leverage that knowledge together with an understanding legal and regulatory risks to proactively identify and address potential issues. He/She will be eager to understand issues and engage with constructive ideas and attitude to help find sensible solutions. The successful candidate will also have excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to understand complex issues and effectively translate them into clear and easily understandable concepts across different audiences.
- Provide legal support for digital initiatives for Citis US Consumer Banking Business
- Work with the business, legal and functional colleagues to proactively identify and manage legal, regulatory, reputational and other relevant risks
- Provide advice and support on the development and implementation of new digital product or service offerings (e.g. mobile banking applications, money movement) as well as initiatives to enhance digital engagement and interaction with customers (e.g. new applications to identify, acquire and service customers, enhance customer experience and increase digital usage)
- Structure, negotiate and draft commercial agreements with technology and other partners
- Develop relationships with business stakeholders, team members and other functional areas through an open and collaborative style; in addition to supporting business, the attorney will work closely with other lawyers in the US and other regions as well as key functional partners, including compliance and risk management
- J.D. and licensed to practice in the US with 3+ years of professional legal experience
- Experience with digital banking and related technology initiatives
- Experience with legal issues in consumer banking, including relevant federal and state consumer banking laws and regulations (e.g. the Electronic Signatures Act, the Electronic Funds Transfers Act/Regulation E, the Equal Credit Opportunity Act/Regulation B and UDAAP among others)
- Experience negotiating and drafting commercial agreements with technology partners
- Experience with data privacy and security issues, including collection, ownership, use, storage and other legal issues related to handling of customer data
- Important attributes will include the ability to exercise good judgment; ability to offer practical solutions and sound advice in situations where laws are uncertain and evolving; a willingness to actively engage with business partners; the ability to listen, be creative and solve problems; the ability to collaborate across business, legal and other functional teams in a complex business organization.