The Assistant Nurse Manager (ANM) works collaboratively with the Program Manager VAMHCS Patient Flow (PM), functions as the supervisor and assumes accountability for the operation of the Flow Center. This includes management, supervision and evaluation of care delivered by nursing and allied health staff. The incumbent will be responsible for oversight of case management, utilization management, flow coordinators and bed coordinators, scheduling, staffing, payroll and daily work assignments.
Learn more about this agency
The Assistant Nurse Manager (ANM) will be engaged in coordination and care of all services under the Flow Umbrella. He or she will be responsible for the activities that are needed to facilitate VAMHCS Patient Flow. These duties include but are not limited to: oversight of case management, confirming that policies and procedures are followed. The ANM is responsible in providing leadership of day to day operations and provides input to the Nurse Manager regarding the strategic planning process in the attainment of the organizational goals. The ANM assumes the responsibility for the scheduling and staffing of permanent and intermittent/prn nursing staff. They ensure assignments are consistent with staffing methodology and reflect appropriate utilization of the health care team to meet VA standards of care. In so much, the ANM is fiscally responsible for utilization of manning, and projects budgetary needs to ensure staffing is appropriate. The ANM services as role model, supports and coaches staff in critical thinking regarding professional nursing practice. The ANM provides feedback and counseling to nursing staff regarding policies, procedures, and practice. The ANM at the direction o f the Nurse Manager, directs practice according to local policies, standards of care and practice, and ensure that nursing operations are in compliance with applicable local, VISN, VA and national certifying bodies.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing ( ACEN ) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education ( CCNE ). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- MSN degree preferred
- Acute Med/Surge experience is preferred
- Leadership experience is a preferred qualification
- Experience in hospital flow/throughput is preferred
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse II – A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III – Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: Physical Requirements: It is VA policy to ensure that all selected applicants and employed personnel are physically, mentally and emotionally fit to perform the duties of the position to which assigned. A pre-placement physical examination is required for all fulltime, part-time and intermittent employees identified by VA Directive and Handbook 5019. The pre-placement physical examination shall be completed prior to appointment to determine the physical and mental fitness for candidates for appointment in VA. The examination will be concerned with the mental and physical ability of the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the proposed assignment and will include requisite laboratory and other screening as required by Federal regulatory agencies.
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http: ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http: www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html .
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: Candidate's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience as an RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- VA Form 10-2850a
VA Form 10-2850a – Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists can be found at: http: www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search .
ATTENTION: The VA Form 10-2850a is a REQUIRED document. Applicants that do not submit this for will NOT be considered for this position. Any VA Form 10-2850a that is dated older than ONE YEAR from the date of this announcement will not be accepted and the applicant WILL NOT be considered.
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain job title, hours worked per week and the dates of employment with a detailed description of the duties performed (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application will be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
- If you are claiming licensure, you must include the License Type, Expiration date, Licensure Number.
- If you are using education and or certifications, this information must be clearly stated in the body of your resume. You must include Name, School, type of Degree and Year of Graduation, certifications must include certifying body, certification number and expiration of certification. Credentials beside your name will not be used to meet qualifications.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
HR will not make assumptions when reviewing resumes; please be clear and concise when listing duties and responsibilities.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's (current/former Federal employees), etc.
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (VA)
- VA Form 10-2850a
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.