At Kia, were creating award-winning products and redefining what value means in the automotive industry. It takes a special group of individuals to do what we do, and we do it together. Our culture is fast-paced, collaborative, and innovative. Our people thrive on thinking differently and challenging the status quo. We are creating something special here, a culture of learning and opportunity, where you can help Kia achieve big things and most importantly, feel passionate and connected to your work every day.
Kia provides team members with competitive benefits including 100% premium paid medical, dental and vision coverage for you and your dependents, 401(k) plan matching of 100% up to 6% of the salary deferral, and time off starting at 14 days per year. Kia also offers company lease and purchase programs, company-wide holiday shutdown, paid volunteer hours, and premium lifestyle amenities at our corporate campus in Irvine, California.
This position is responsible for providing legal counsel and guidance to all levels of the Company, including executive management. The attorneys primary areas of responsibilities are advertising and marketing; trademarks/brand protection; and, marketing/ip-related contract reviews.
Together with other legal department team members, you will handle a variety of internal matters when needed. You must have the ability to adjust to changing circumstances and willingness to cross-train in other practice areas.
Priority 1st – 60%
- Manage and provide legal review of KMA advertising/marketing materials, including retailer and consumer facing materials, traditional advertising, digital social media, online promotions, public relations material, etc.
Priority 2nd – 15%
Trademarks and Intellectual Property:
- Manage and provide legal advice on trademark issues, including availability, protection, enforcement and licensing. Also, management of lawsuits relating to trademarks or other intellectual property issues.
Priority 3rd – 25%
Supporting the Legal Department:
- Provide support as necessary to other functions of the Legal Department, such as contracts review/drafting, privacy, claims, litigation, compliance, and special projects.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) Degree from an ABA-accredited law school in the U.S.
- California Bar admission required. (For out-of-state attorney, California State Bar admission within first year of employment.)
- 5-9 years of relevant experience as an attorney working for a law firm or as in-house counsel.
- Prior transactional legal work experience (such as market/IP reviews and contract reviews) helpful.
Directly Related Experience
Not included in job description received.
SkillsExcellent communication skills required (written and oral)Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite Outlook, Excel, PowerPointOutstanding writing, organizational and negotiation skillsAdaptability and willingness to work on a broad variety & high volume of legal matters and tasks, ranging from simple to complex.Work well independently as well as collaboratively.Ability to build consensus with business clients in a calm and professional demeanorA practical-minded business attorney, who has a can do attitude, is responsible, service-driven, enthusiastic, pro-active, and takes initiative and ownership of projects.CompetenciesCHALLENGE – Solving Complex ProblemsCOLLABORATION – Building and Supporting TeamsCUSTOMER – Serving CustomersGLOBALITY – Showing Community and Social ResponsibilityPEOPLE – Interacting with People at Different LevelsAdapting to ChangeChampioning Customer NeedsCommunicating EffectivelyDelivering High Quality WorkEntrepreneurial ThinkingManaging Resources
Equal Employment Opportunities
KMA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, including pregnancy and childbirth and related medical conditions, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, legally protected physical disability or mental disability, legally protected medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, family care or medical leave status, protected veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. KMA complies with applicable law governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which KMA has offices. The KMA EEO policy applies to all areas of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination and all other privileges, terms and conditions of employment.
Disclaimer: The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification and for this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.