The Senior Counsel will provide support for legal issues and regulatory matters related to group and individual supplemental health and life insurance products, including issuance of policies to Employer Groups, for the Workplace Division.
This role will require working closely with the operations, compliance, underwriting, sales, marketing and product development teams on the application of federal and state laws and regulations and ERISA, ACA, and HIPAA rules as they relate to the issuance and regulation of supplemental health and life insurance plans.
Experience as in-house counsel with subject matter expertise in voluntary insurance plans, Third Party Administrator relationships, drafting and reviewing distribution agreements, reviewing legislative changes, and responding to state inquiries is preferred.
What Success Looks Like:
- Negotiate, draft and/or review marketing, distribution, administration, TPA, and/or vendor agreements.
- Provide advice regarding escalated claims and consumer complaints.
- Review Policy forms for new and revised Product initiatives.
- Respond to Departments of Insurance with Filing matters.
- Monitor and advise on changes in laws and regulations, particularly those related to insurance regulations, including advising on company impact and strategy.
- Research and review State Insurance laws and regulations.
- Review and approve marketing and advertising materials.
- Establish strong working relationships with business partners and be able to lead meetings on important business issues.
- Work under the supervision of a senior attorney on legal assignments that could have a substantial impact on the conduct of the companys business.
- Provide legal advice on State and Government inquiries that may include Market Conduct issues.
- Work with outside counsel on assigned legal projects.
- Experience with Voluntary Products including supplemental health, life and disability insurance, and experience with the ACA, HIPAA & ERISA is preferred.
- Review laws and regulations as they relate to employer groups, associations, labor unions, and other non-employer groups to ensure they comply with the state law prior to issuing policies.
- Review communications with insureds for legal issues.
- Collaborate with the Transamerica Litigation team as needed.
What You Need:
- JD from an ABA accredited law school
- Five years or more of legal experience
- Licensed or eligible to practice in the applicable state
- Ability to effectively communicate, both written and oral, with the intended audience
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to exercise agility and adaptability in providing legal advice
- Comfortable in a rapidly changing corporate environment, which may include working remotely
- Proficient using MS office
**Please note that the compensation information that follows is a good faith estimate for this position only and is provided pursuant to the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act and Equal Pay Transparency Rules. It is estimated based on what a successful Colorado applicant might be paid. It assumes that the successful candidate will be in Colorado or perform the position from Colorado. Similar positions located outside of Colorado will not necessarily receive the same compensation. **
The salary for this position generally ranges between $137,550 and $226,800. This range is an estimate, based on potential employee qualifications, operational needs and other considerations permitted by law. The range may vary above and below the stated amounts, as permitted by Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Rule 4.1.2.
This position is also typically eligible for an annual bonus based on the Company Bonus Plan/Individual Performance and is at Company Discretion at a rate of 20%.
What You Receive:
- A Comprehensive Wealth + Health package. Its our passion to empower people, and especially our employees, to add years to their lives and more life to their years. That means a healthy account balance and a healthy body to match. As youll come to discover, Wealth + Health is a central part of everything we do!
- Wealth Benefits; Competitive Pay, Bonus, and Benefits Package; Pension Plan, 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Tuition Reimbursement, Disability Insurance, Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Career Training & Development Opportunities, Certification Sponsorship
- Health and Work/Life Balance Benefits; Be Well Company sponsored holistic wellness program which includes Wellness Coaching and reward dollars, Parental Leave, Adoption Assistance, Employee Assistance Program, College Coach Program, Back-up Care Program, Paid Time Off to Volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program, Employee Resource Groups, Inclusion and Diversity Programs, Employee Recognition Program
Our commitment to inclusion & diversity means that we value differences. We encourage the unique perspectives of individuals and are dedicated to creating a respectful and inclusive work environment.
Why Work for Us
Total Rewards at Transamerica: Its more than a paycheck. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package is designed to help support you in many ways throughout all stages of your life and career. We provide a competitive, market-driven program that encompasses base compensation, bonus potential, retirement, health and wellness benefits, learning and development opportunities, plus great employee perks. All designed with you in mind to help you live your best life, grow personally and professionally – and feel valued for the work you do.