Open Until Filled
You must be licensed to practice law in Wyoming.
Provides legal representation to indigent clients charged with a crime(s); conducts interviews with clients and witnesses; prepares motions, briefs, memoranda, and other legal documents; argues motions before trial court; represents clients at court hearings and trial.
Human Resource Contact: Nisha Bishop 307-777-6219 nisha.bishop1wyo.gov
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- Analyzes cases and advises clients on the best course of action.
- Prepares legal documents and appears at trial on behalf of the client.
- Consults with other attorneys in the office to formulate a case strategy, plans for the case, and agency work.
- Stays current in legal literature in all aspects of the relevant law to provide current assistance to clients and staff attorneys, including meeting CLE requirements.
Preference may be given to applicants who are active members of the Wyoming State Bar and licensed to practice as an attorney in this State.
**You must be licensed to practice law in Wyoming.
- Ability to manage multiple cases/tasks, manage time, and prioritize tasks.
- Knowledge of trial and hearing procedure and rules of evidence – must have the ability to present statements of fact, law, and argument clearly and logically in written and oral form.
- Knowledge of criminal statutes, court procedures, and legal research methods.
- Skilled in managing a caseload and responding quickly to changing priorities.
- Knowledge of substantive and procedural laws in criminal justice, including state, federal, and administrative law.
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Travel required – as necessary by the caseload.
- FLSA: Exempt
008-Public Defender – Trial
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure.
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.