Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
The Counsel – Trade position is a collaborative partner with Lead Counsel and the Departments business partners. As a member of the Legal Staff, Counsel manages his/her matters and other assignments in an efficient and effective manner. Counsel creates and manages a budget for all matters handled by outside counsel and supports a culture of legal compliance and excellence through his/her work. Counsel is critical to helping move the Legal Staff towards successful completion of the Companys objectives.
As a member of the GM Legal Staff, Counsel will strive to be a role model for the Company by delivering high performance legal services with high integrity. The GM Legal Staffs objectives are to deliver timely, best-in-class business advisory and legal services in close collaboration with business partners to accomplish their objectives while simultaneously protecting GMs high standards of legal, ethical, and financial integrity. Each member of the Legal Staff, including Counsel, is expected to adhere to these standards:
- Workplace and Product Safety
- Compliance & Ethics
- Strategic Partnering
- Responsive & Accountable
- Real-time Transparency and Communication
- Superior Work Product Quality
- Strong Work Ethic
- Controlling Costs
- Company and Industry Knowledge
- Community Involvement and Professional Development
- Support the growing GM Defense business on a variety of legal and compliance matters, including government contracts, subcontracts, teaming agreements, export controls, and related cost accounting and intellectual property issues.
- Provide strategic advice, legal counsel, and training to GM Defense personnel as well as other GM business units and international operations.
- Lead the development and management of the GM Defense compliance program, in cooperation with other GM and GM Defense personnel, the GM Legal Staff, and GMs Global Ethics and Compliance Center.
- Provide counsel on government contract related bid protests, disputes, claims, procurement fraud, investigations and disclosures as needed.
- Support broader GM advocacy and compliance efforts relating to novel and evolving trade issues, including pending export controls on emerging and foundational technologies, USMCA, US-China relations, and more. Work collaboratively with the GM Public Policy team in DC as well as Legal Staff and other GM colleagues in Detroit.
- Responsibilities may also include CFIUS, antiboycott, trade agreements, antidumping and countervailing duties, trade remedies, and other trade and tariff-related issues.
Additional Job Description
Qualifications & Experience:
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant legal experience
- Familiarity with the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), the Department of Defense Federal Acquisition Regulations Supplement (DFARS), the International Traffic In Arms Regulations (ITAR), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), and other requirements unique to contracting with the Government.
- Knowledge and understanding of automotive, defense, and/or technical industries
- Ability to collaborate, build relationships, gain credibility, and partner with others across a large organization
- Proven ability to establish rapport and participate in an environment of continuous improvement
- Knowledge and experience in key legal and compliance trends that impact the business
- Strong oral and written communicator
- Commitment to integrity and inclusiveness
- Financial acumen, including budgeting
- Aptitude for critical thinking and succinctly presenting the best course of action
- Exceptional organizational, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- A mix of law firm, in-house and/or government experience is preferred
- Law degree from an accredited college or university
- Admitted to practice in at least one jurisdiction in the United States
Please only apply if you DO NOT need sponsorship to work in the Unites States now or in the future. We are unable to consider candidates who require sponsorship.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.