ChenMed is transforming healthcare for seniors. We provide big answers to big problems in health care delivery. ChenMed is a full-risk primary care market leader with an innovative philosophy, unique physician culture and end-to-end customized technology. These things allow us to provide world-class primary care and coordinated care to the most vulnerable population moderate- to low-income seniors who have complex chronic diseases.
Through our innovative operating model, physician-led culture and empowering technology, we are able to drive key quality and cost outcomes that create value for patients, physicians and the overall health system. Our model allows us to practice medicine the way it should be practiced. By recruiting focused physicians and reducing their doctor-to-patient ratios, we increase patients face time during each monthly appointment and help foster stronger doctor-patient relationships. Our model also drives and enhances compliance with treatment plans.
As a result of our efforts, our patients realize lower hospital admissions. Their overwhelming response to our approach is reflected in our aggressive, organic growth and net promoter scores in the low to mid 90s, which is unheard of in any industry. Read more about our results and the value of the ChenMed model.
As a company, we are making a difference in the lives of seniors and the health care system overall.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promotes the ChenMed vision, mission and values by effectively communicating and demonstrating them to others. Considers vision, mission and values in developing services, standards and practices.
- Leads, manages, coaches and reviews the performance of a team of attorneys and other support staff. Ensures execution of teams objectives in furtherance of legal COE and business goals.
- Independently manages complex projects and coordinates work with other attorneys to deliver timely results.
- Develops and implements policies, procedures and standard terms for workflow and work-product of legal team.
- Provides legal advice, analysis, and guidance in connection with the companys operations to ensure protection of the companys legal rights, mitigation of risks and continued legal compliance.
- Anticipates legal risk and provides legal advice to internal clients on best practice negotiation strategies and standard terms for agreements including contract interpretation, dispute resolution and other legal risks, and ensures attorneys under their supervision do the same.
- Regularly deals with members of senior management and executives on legal matters within area of legal expertise.
- Provides legal advice to all levels of management to ensure their activities, policies, business practices, and transactions comply with all relevant laws and regulations. Adapts professional staff and other documents to changes in regulations, laws, and client practices.
- Leads the review and investigation of claims, actions, or lawsuits filed against the company, developing defense strategies, evaluating the strength of the claims, conducting risk analyses, and evaluating resolution opportunities.
- Builds relationships and partners with internal clients as well as external counsel, as required, on policy, contract and agreement matters.
- Supervises, judiciously engages and/or manages outside counsel as required in a broad range of matters; oversees and supervises litigation to promote efficient and effective dispute resolution of potential and actual disputes.
- Communicates project and task updates to manager and leadership on a regular basis.
- Provides training to corporate COEs on legal topics.
- Develops and leads implementation of corporate policies, procedures and programs, and standard terms for agreements; provides continuing counsel on legal matters and legal implications.
- Drafts, negotiates, reviews, finalizes and represents the Company and internal clients interests in a broad range of contractual documents, including licensing agreements, nondisclosure agreements, service arrangements, business associate agreements, purchase agreements, vendor contracts, joint venture agreements, marketing agreements, and employment agreements, among others.
- Reviews documents prepared by outside counsel, junior counsel or paralegals.
- Coaches colleagues throughout the legal team and organization to resolve legal problems for the Companys benefit.
- Supports in the management Legal COE budget.
- Advises on legal and regulatory issues and federal and state laws and regulations.
- Other duties as assigned and modified at managers discretion.
At ChenMed, If you are an innovative, entreprenuerial minded, over-achiever who is extremely passionate in helping people and revolutionizing Healthcare again, we are that dynamic and exciting company you are looking for!
After applying, we encourage you to “follow” us on LinkedIn (ChenMed) as well! This way you can stay informed and up to date on whats happening around our organization and start your path to becoming part of our FAMILY!
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work with, influence and provide counsel to executives
- Strategic thinking with the capacity to make sound decisions and give business and legal advice, at times in compressed time frame with limited information
- Broad understanding of Medicare Advantage risk-based primary care and applicable laws and regulations for both the industry and general businesses
- Ability to do root cause analysis and drive process improvement
- Ability to work independently and cross-functionally in a fast-paced, ever-changing and challenging environment
- Ability to manage, supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments and coordinate such work
- Ability to analyze and interpret issues and to prepare legal opinions
- Superior written and oral communication skills; spoken and written fluency in English
- Excellent negotiation, presentation and legal research skills
- Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality and exercise discretion and ethical behavior
- Solution-oriented team player with a commitment to client satisfaction
- Deep knowledge of contractual terms and conditions required
- Excellent problem solving, analytical and critical thinking skills
- Excellent time management and cross-functional and internal team collaboration skills
- Broad knowledge of the EEOC, FMLA, ADA, DOL, FLSA, FLSA, the Stark Law and the Anti-Kickback statute
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook; knowledge of Linksquares and/or ServiceNow a plus
- Professional and responsive with email and communication lines
- This position requires less than 10% of travel nationwide
- This position requires the use of independent judgement
- Up to date with Continued Legal Education courses (CLE) and proactive about staying informed and self-educating to stay relevant and knowledgeable.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE CRITERIA:
- Juris Doctor (JD) from an ABA accredited law school required
- Admission in good standing to at least one U.S. State Bar
- Minimum of six (6) years experience in law, focusing on intellectual property law, labor and employment law, health care law, mergers and acquisition in the healthcare field, or real estate law; previous experience managing a team and as a corporate counsel in-house counsel is a plus
- Experience working on matters of corporate governance and with a board of directors
- Experience with cost-effective management of outside legal resources
- Experience with motion practice in state and federal court, and experience handling arbitration, mediation, and/or trial practice
- Deep experience in one or more of the following areas of law: intellectual property law, labor and employment law, health care law, mergers and acquisitions in the healthcare field, transactional law, corporate law or real estate law