Job Description The General Counsel will be responsible for assisting management and the Board of Directors on all corporate, legal, regulatory and SEC matters, which primarily includes general contracts, third party agreements, vendor supplier relationships, the management of external counsel and general litigation, and acting as Corporate Secretary to our Board of Directors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitates essential business transactions by consulting, negotiating and drafting distributorship agreements, sales and consulting contracts; maintaining corporate structures essential for conducting business, advising on business structures and regulatory compliance and participating in business management teams.
- Provides advice and counsel on a variety of corporate, commercial and contract issues, and on Federal and state regulatory issues, such as FDA, FTC and SEC rules and regulations, consumer protection, insurance, and governmental licensing laws, to ensure compliance with those laws, rules and regulations.
- Advises management on legal risks inherent in proposed contractual arrangement and transactions and devises practical, business oriented alternatives that will eliminate those risks or reduce or contain them to levels acceptable to the company and its management.
- Assists the company in capturing new business opportunities by advising, drafting and negotiating complex transactions including, corporate acquisitions, divestitures and, joint ventures agreements as well as conducting due diligence.
- Manages SEC compliance, disclosure and reporting as well as compliance with NASDAQ Marketplace rules.
- Directs compliance and develops operating procedures in order to meet our ever changing compliance obligations.
- Establishes and manages relationships with outside counsel and acts on behalf of AngioDynamics in both the defense and prosecution of lawsuits.
- Provides expertise and support to the Audit, Compensation, Licensing and Acquisiton, Nominating and Corporate Governance and other Board Committees on matters related to corporate governance.
- Provides advice and counsel in the avoidance and resolution of customer claims while avoiding, when possible, recourse to litigation.
- Provides advice and counsel with regard to various corporate governance and internal control policies.
- Drives corporate compliance through legal training and review of business activities to ensure compliance with applicable laws and corporate policies, such as antitrust and business ethics.
- May perform other duties as assigned
Education & Experience
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school
- 12+ years of demonstrated experience in a broad range of corporate transactional matters including contract drafting and negotiation gained in a major law firm or in-house legal department.
- Admitted to practice, New York state required
Physical/Work Requirements The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work safely and follow all OSHA regulations and company safety policies and procedures.
- For all on-the-job injuries or accidents, must notify manager/supervisor immediately.
- Exposure to standard office environment
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 15
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 50
- Ability to regularly sit or stand for extended periods of time
- This position requires some travel up to 20% of the time
Additional Information As an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer, AngioDynamics will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicants race, color, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, physical and mental disability, criminal record, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, status with respect to receiving public assistance, domestic violence victim status, a disabled, special, recently separated, active duty wartime, campaign badge, Armed Forces service medal veteran, or any other characteristics protected under applicable law.
The company will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed,or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant.