Founded in 1992, Cerberus is a global leader in alternative investing with approximately $48 billion* in assets across complementary credit, private equity, and real estate strategies. We invest across the capital structure where our integrated investment platforms and proprietary operating capabilities create an edge to improve performance and drive long-term value. Our tenured teams have experience working collaboratively across asset classes, sectors, and geographies to seek strong risk-adjusted returns for our investors. For more information about our people and platforms, visit us at
Cerberus” rel=”noopener noreferrer nofollow”> is seeking an attorney with a minimum of 5 years in-house experience to serve as legal counsel for a market leading investment team that specializes primarily in acquiring, financing and securitizing residential mortgage loans and single-family residential properties in the U.S. and abroad. As counsel for a fast-paced, structured products investment team, the attorney will oversee legal and regulatory compliance for the teams entire portfolio of investments and the various service providers and portfolio companies that support these initiatives. The candidate will also work directly with the investment portfolio team to structure, implement and manage its investment programs. The attorney will be required to have a general knowledge of mortgage finance and residential real estate and have substantive experience in the following areas: mortgage and asset backed securitizations/syndicated finance facilities, repurchase and other structured warehouse facilities, asset purchase agreements, bond financing, securities marketing and trading, asset-backed risk retention compliance, mortgage/consumer finance and protection laws and a general knowledge of debt structuring.
Cerberus” rel=”noopener noreferrer nofollow”>
- Provide legal advice, review, draft and negotiate documentation, prepare disclosure and provide all related legal transaction management activities for:
- Collaborate with the investment management team on the development and enhancement of their initiatives by providing timely, market driven securities law, securitization and capital markets legal advice related to the development, modification and execution of its securitization programs and other critical business lines.
- Advise on the legal, regulatory and reputational issues and risks arising in transactions and work closely with the wider Cerberus legal and compliance teams on securities and capital markets legal matters.
- Coordinate with operations and tax teams on the development and structuring of new transactions to insure successful launch of initiatives.
- Oversee certain portfolio companies that provide asset management and servicing oversight of the asset portfolios being acquired and securitized.
- Manage the legal spend with respect to the business area including management of relationships and costs of external counsel.
- Monitor legal and regulatory trading compliance of employees and other members of the trading group.
- RMBS, Single Family Residential and other asset backed securitizations;
- Real Estate and Asset Purchase Agreements;
- Letters of Intent and bid letters;
- Structured bilateral facilities;
- Syndicated facilities;
- Master repurchase agreements and ISDA Master Agreements;
- Trust, custodial and servicing agreements;
- Other credit products, for example, covered bonds and mezzanine debt.
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree, membership in good standing of NY State Bar
- 10 years of experience in securitization and lending transactions, ideally with 5+ years in-house at a mortgage fund or investment bank that specializes in mortgage-related structured products.
- Strong decision making and communication skills and relationship building qualities.
- The ability to appropriately assess and manage legal and reputational risk and demonstrate sound judgement in the resolution of such matters.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing and open-office environment.
- Ability to prioritize efficiently and manage a complex time sensitive workload.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- A calm approach, with the ability to perform well in a pressurized environment.
- Willingness to learn new areas of law to cover new businesses and initiatives.