This position serves as one of the Companys primary litigation attorneys. The successful candidate will have a strong team first attitude with proven tactical and strategic acumen to lead all phases of litigation, from early case assessment to aggressively enforcing judgments. The successful candidate must have the ability to succinctly distill matters in a business-oriented and practical manner; diligently review pleadings and discovery; and collaborate with Marathons internal legal support team (analysts, paralegals, e-discovery personnel, etc.) to ascertain and review key witnesses/documents, provide timely communications to the business, and efficiently manage external counsel. E&P litigation background preferred. The position will report to the Assistant General Counsel Litigation, Labor/Employment, & Legal Support Management.
- Support operational goals and shareholder value by pragmatically, aggressively, and efficiently asserting and defending legal claims;
- Provide professional and practical legal advice and guidance on the anticipated legal and other consequences of instituting, prosecuting, and defending lawsuits, arbitrations, and administrative agency proceedings;
- Supervise and/or conduct the preparation, trial and appeal of lawsuits, arbitrations and proceedings;
- Proactively plan and develop solutions to existing or potential legal problems involving Marathon Oil, including ensuring relevant personnel are informed of applicable new and proposed statutes, case law, and other matters of interest to the Company; and
- Demonstrate a commitment to continually improving and expanding technical subject matter proficiency.
- Degree: J.D. required
- Licensed member of Texas State Bar
- Minimum ten years of relevant litigation experience, including at least five years of law firm experience required
- Experience in both domestic shale plays and pipeline/gathering systems is preferred
- Must be willing to work long hours as workload and litigation matters dictate
- Travel May Be required: 5-15%, varies by legal matter
Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO) is an independent oil and natural gas exploration and production company based in Houston, Texas. With a material position in four of the best oil-rich U.S. resource plays in different stages of development, we offer a variety of career opportunities, whether you’re a recent college graduate or an experienced professional. You’ll have the tools to develop and refine the skills and knowledge you need to succeed.
Marathon Oil Company will take the necessary action to ensure that employees are treated without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status or other protected status under applicable employment law.