The incumbent of this position will be providing program management support to the SDA Support Cell. SDA's Support Cell will enable ground segment and launch capabilities to support a responsive and resilient space architecture.
This position will be moving from the Pentagon/Crystal City area to Chantilly, VA in early/mid 2021.
Learn more about this agency
The SDA ground segment will enable a common, resilient ground support infrastructure necessary to enable the space-based capabilities of the other layers to transmit, receive, process, exploit and disseminate data. Fundamentally, this infrastructure must manage the constellation, host and execute tactical command and control (C2) capabilities, host mission processing and BMC3 applications, task and manage ground-based communication gateways, connect across secure long-haul communications networks, implement in-band and out-of-band cyber security systems and provide for general constellation computing, networking and storage capabilities. Integrating advanced C2 concepts, such as multi-band phased array and optical antennas, and aligning with U.S. Space Force's Enterprise Ground Services are fundamental to SDA's approach.
Finally, this infrastructure must be deployable to satellite operations centers world-wide, facilitate human-on the loop, and "lights out" operations and provide for satellite operator training. In addition, the Support Cell facilitates launch acquisition, space vehicle integration and satellite operations for all other SDA Layers.
As a PROGRAM MANAGER at the NH-0340-4 some of your typical work assignments may include:
- Performs programmatic assessments of complex space systems and architectures – to include but not limited to space segment, ground command and control facilities and systems, launch capabilities and range infrastructure, tactical user terminals, and associated communication networks and links – to identify and characterize system performance, vulnerabilities, and other attributes that potential adversaries may seek to exploit through physical or non-physical access.
- Plans, organizes, directs, and coordinates significant and complex projects which represent critical segments of major operating programs and which entail a variety of complicating factors, interaction with other engineering specializations, and consideration of the life-cycle of items/ systems.
- Functions as the organization's program management expert in developing system performance requirements, objectives and integration, and the estimation of time and resources for system design, development, and support.
- Applies expertise in the field of program management and extensive knowledge of the assigned functional area to resolve unique or novel problems related to design and development of the SDA Space architecture. Integrates multiple logistics and/or acquisition functions to implement program management strategy.
- Establishes, develops, and maintains effective working relationships with senior defense officials, field representatives, intergovernmental and nongovernmental leaders, local/state/federal elected and appointed officials, new media, business professional and academia leaders, civic leaders, and the general public.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a US citizen
- Male born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
- Resume and supporting documents received by 11:59PM EST will be considered
- Suitable for Federal employment determined by background investigation
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period
- This is a Drug Testing designated position
- Work Schedule: Fulltime
- Overtime: Occasionally
- Tour of Duty: Flexible
- Recruitment Incentives: May be authorized
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Exempt
- Financial Disclosure: Required
- Telework Eligibility: This position is telework eligible
- Selective Service Requirement: Please visit http: www.sss.gov for more information
- Employee is required to obtain a Level III acquisition certification in Program Management within 24 months of entering into this position
You may qualify at the NH-04 level if you fulfill the following qualifications:
One year of specialized experience equivalent to the NH -03/GS-13 grade level in the Federal service:
- Experience applying ground systems command and control to include the understanding of these networks and their use across platforms, weapons, and sensors.
- Experience employing programmatic assessments of complex space systems and architectures, to include space segment, ground command and control facilities and systems, and associated communication networks and links.
- Experience communicating with individuals with diverse viewpoints to efficiently resolve technical and/or policy issues.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Substitution of education may not be used in lieu of specialized experience for this grade level.
All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement.
The position(s) covered by this vacancy announcement is in the Department of Defense (DoD) Acquisition Workforce Personnel Demonstration Project (AcqDemo). For more information please see: ACQDEMO
Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA): To be eligible for a VEOA appointment under Merit Promotion procedures, the veteran must be a preference eligible or a veteran separated after 3 years or more of continuous active service performed under honorable conditions.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Programs: This program applies to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: 1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; 2) be rated well-qualified for the position; Well qualified is defined as possessing the type and quality of experience that exceeds the positions minimum qualifications. and 3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. For more information: https: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ .
Noncompetitive Appointment Authorities: For more information on noncompetitive appointment authority eligibility requirements:
Person with Disabilities- Schedule A
Special Hiring Authorities for Veterans
Other Special Appointment Authorities
Special Hiring Authority for Certain Military Spouses
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see https: www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx )
To receive consideration please make sure you select ALL appropriate eligibilities in the application questionnaire.
CRITICAL ACQUISITION POSITION (CAP): Selectee for this position will be required to sign a written agreement to remain, for a minimum of three years, in the federal service in this critical acquisition position.
ACQUISITION POSITION: This position requires Acquisition Workforce Level III in Program Management. Certification prior to hiring is not essential but must be accomplished within 24 months after entry into this position
Re-employed Annuitant: This position does not meet criteria for re-employed annuitant. The DoD criteria for hiring Re-employed Annuitants can be found at: http: www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/140025/1400.25-V300.pdf
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills and abilities required of this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Defense Acquisition Programs and Policies
- Oral Communication
- Program Management
- Systems Engineering
Military Spouse Preference: If you are entitled to military spouse preference, in order to receive this preference you must choose the spousal eligibility in your application package referencing MSP Military Spouse Preference. Your preference entitlement will be verified by the employing agency. If you are claiming military spouse preference and qualified for the position, your name will be placed below preference eligible veteran candidates and above non-preference candidates on a list sent to the hiring manager for employment consideration. To claim Military Spouse Preference (MSP) please complete the Military Spouse PPP Self-Certification Checklist , save the document and attach it to your application package.
Background checks and security clearance
Sensitive Compartmented Information
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Special-Sensitive (SS)/High Risk
Trust determination process
The documents you are required to submit vary based on the authority you are using to apply (i.e., applying as a veteran, applying as a current permanent Federal employee, applying as a reinstatement, etc).
Your complete application includes your COMPLETE resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
The following documents are REQUIRED
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format. It must include your name and contact information and support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain the number of hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e.," HRS per week and month/year" or "HRS per week and month/year to present").
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
2. Veteran's Documents
- If applying using veteran's preference or under a Veteran's hiring authority you must submit the following documents:
- DD214 showing character of service, SF-15 Form and VA letter showing final percentage, or certification of expected discharge or release from active duty.
PLEASE REVIEW THE BELOW LINK FOR OTHER SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS needed for proof of eligibility:
If you are claiming Military Spouse Preference, you must submit supporting documents with your application package. These documents must provide acceptable information to verify: you reside within the commuting area of your sponsor's permanent duty station (PDS); proof of marriage to the active duty sponsor, proof of military member's active duty status, and other documentation required by the vacancy announcement to which you are applying; and must meet all pre-employment criteria and be eligible for immediate noncompetitive appointment to a position in the competitive service. Documentation required: Marriage Certificate or License, Signed Self-Certification Checklist, Veterans' Preference documentation (e.g., DD-214, VA Letter, Statement of Service, if applicable), Transcripts (if applicable). Additional documentation required if previously held a federal position: SF-50s (e.g., LWOP, highest grade held, overseas appointments, etc.), SF-75 Information, and documentation of performance rating of record (dated within the last 12 months)
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.