In-house counsel with up to 8 years of experience responsible for providing proactive, professional and practical legal advice and support related to one or more business segments, handling increasingly complex legal matters and projects. Candidate should have a strong commercial background, with primary responsibility drafting and negotiating in transactional agreements in the refining industry.
Successful candidate will need to be practical and business-minded with an ability to present internal clients with real-world, pragmatic advice in a complex and fast-paced environment. Must have strong communication skills and the ability to listen, understand, and advise a diverse group of internal clients, including commercial, corporate, and and/or operational teams.
Additional experience with commercial and product liability litigation would be helpful as well, as would experience with cyber-security and data privacy issues; regulatory/compliance issues, including import/export laws and regulations, FCPA, FARA, and OFAC sanctions regulations.
This individual must (i) have juris doctor from an accredited U.S. law school and (ii) be licensed by the Texas State Bar. This position will report to a Managing Counsel.
Degree: Juris Doctor Degree in Law.
The minimum number of years of job related experience required by this job is: 8 years.
List any specialized training or unique skills required:
- 8- 10 years specified legal experience as an attorney.
- Must be currently licensed to practice law in Texas.
- Bilingual Spanish is a plus.
- Provide legal advice and counsel to internal business clients related to Refining, Crude Oil, Marketing, Terminals and Pipelines, Petrochemicals, Industrial Products, Transportation and other business segments, including but not limited to, recognizing legal issues, creating strategies to reduce risk, managing and implementing legal and corporate polices, advising management, clarifying legal language for the business clients.
- Draft, review and negotiate contracts related to Refining, Crude Oil, Marketing, Terminals and Pipelines, Petrochemicals, Industrial Products, Transportation and other business segments, including but not limited to, services, purchase orders, transportation, supply, pipeline, tank lease, spot and term sales agreements and other agreements.
- Manage and/or support assigned litigation for internal business clients, including but not limited to personal injury, premises liability and commercial claims; coordinate with counsel for insurance carriers and coordinate among principal outside law firms handling CITGOs litigation. Support may include participating in legal strategies, reviewing pleadings and briefs, attending depositions, mediations, hearings, and trials; recommending settlements, and supervising paralegals pertaining to discovery.
Common Functions: Analyze and draft legal opinions on contracts and other legal documents, claims and operations; educate clients on risk management and reduction strategies; conduct training; participate as the legal representative on Company committees, projects and partnerships; and manage outside counsel to assist with significant matters of unusual complexity, as needed.
Apply for this job onlineShare on your newsfeed