MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
The Legal Division’s mission is to advance and protect the interests of the firm by providing the highest quality legal advice. Central to our mission is the identification and provision of advice with respect to the resolution of legal, regulatory and reputational risks. As part of the firms second line of defense, Legal helps ensure that the firms activities are conducted within the boundaries of the law and consistent with preserving and enhancing the firms reputation.
Founded in 1869, The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm. Goldman Sachs Merchant Banking Division (MBD) is the firms primary direct investing and lending platform and is the largest private investment platform within a leading global bank. MBD has over 30 years of investing experience across private equity, infrastructure, private debt, growth equity and real estate strategies. MBD partners
with investors, portfolio companies and sponsors to unlock value, drive returns and turn innovative thinking into growth.
Established in 1996, MBD Credit is one of the worlds largest alternative credit investing platforms, offering innovative and bespoke financing solutions across the risk spectrum, ranging from corporate performing credit to opportunistic and distressed situations. MBD Credit leverages its scale, expertise and embedded position within Goldman Sachs as well as deep relationships with sponsors, management teams and corporates to make credit investments to large and middle market companies in need of capital.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Merchant Banking Division (MBD) Legal is looking for an experienced lending attorney to support the middle-market lending and other desks in MBD Credit. The attorney will primarily support cash flow-based lending but may get involved in a broader range of financing transactions as well as debt restructurings and other matters. The position offers the opportunity to partner with the business and other control-side areas and oversee legal aspects throughout the transaction life cycle, including the analysis of legal and reputational issues as part of investment committee and portfolio management processes.
- Advising MBD Credit professionals on the structuring and execution of lending transactions, taking into account legal, regulatory and compliance issues
- Overseeing legal due diligence and the negotiation of credit agreements and other transaction documentation
- Engaging and managing outside counsel
- Coordinating with other control-side areas
SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
- 5-8 years post qualification experience required in a leading law firm or financial institution
- Strong commercial lending experience is required, with experience in private credit/middle-market lending preferred
- Bankruptcy/restructuring experience is a significant plus
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage several simultaneous projects under deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills; ability to clearly articulate ideas and develop stakeholder relationships
- Team-oriented with ability to respond and be flexible to client demands while adhering to firm policies and group practices
- Ability to engage proactively as an advisor to the business and collaboratively work with other control areas
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHSAt Goldman Sachs, we commit our people, capital and ideas to help our clients, shareholders and the communities we serve to grow. Founded in 1869, we are a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm. Headquartered in New York, we maintain offices around the world. We believe who you are makes you better at what you do. We’re committed to fostering and advancing diversity and inclusion in our own workplace and beyond by ensuring every individual within our firm has a number of opportunities to grow professionally and personally, from our training and development opportunities and firmwide networks to benefits, wellness and personal finance offerings and mindfulness programs. Learn more about our culture, benefits, and people at GS.com/careers. Were committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with special needs or disabilities during our recruiting process. Learn more: https: www.goldmansachs.com/careers/footer/disability-statement.html
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2020. All rights reserved.Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity