The Office of Inspector General (OIG), works within the U. S. Department of Transportation (DOT) to promote efficiency and effectiveness, and prevent or stop waste, fraud and abuse in departmental programs. We do this through audits and investigations. The position is located in the Department of Transportation (DOT), Office of Inspector General (OIG), Assistant Inspector General for Administration and Management, Office of the Chief Information Officer, Washington, DC.
Learn more about this agency
As an IT Specialist (SYSADMIN), you will:
- Provide senior level support for IT infrastructure components through the OIG Incident Management System. Provide assistance to IT staff on specific issues, analyzes issue patterns and takes proactive actions to prevent future occurrences.
- Plan and schedule the installation of new or modified hardware and operating systems and applications software. Also manage the installation and integration of system fixes, updates, and enhancements.
- Provide engineering approach and support to IT infrastructure migration to and support maintenance in M365 and MS Azure cloud environments and components.
- Manage system resources including performance, capacity, availability, serviceability, and recoverability.
- Resolve hardware/software interface and interoperability problems.
- Maintain system configuration.
- Ensure the application of information security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices in the delivery of systems administration services.
- Participate in IT project planning which includes identifying and providing cost-benefit analysis of alternative application designs or approaches. Participate in the selection of appropriate hardware, software, and system architecture. Develop appropriate procedures and tests data for use in unit, system, and customer acceptance testing.
- Modify and/or refine agency system administration standard operating procedures.
- Recommend additional components to improve overall system performance by staying current on emerging technological changes.
Occasional travel – Possible travel up to 10% may be required to field offices.
Conditions of Employment
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 P.M. EST on the closing date.
- This position is subject to a background investigation.
- Relocation is not authorized.
- U.S. Citizen.
Federal employees must meet Time-In-Grade (TIG) requirements for merit promotion consideration. TIG is the 52-week requirement Federal employees in competitive service, General Schedule (GS) positions at GS-5 and above must serve before they are eligible for promotion to the next grade level.
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must meet the SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE qualifications for the grade(s) at which you are requesting consideration.
GS-14 : To qualify, you must have at least one year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the federal service with the following:
- Experience with Microsoft, Vmware, M365 and MS Azure platforms in relation to systems administration and system engineering.
- Experience defining, performing, and providing software/hardware recommendations based on business needs and requirements.
- Experience backing up and recovering systems or system applications (such as Microsoft, Vmware, M365 and MS Azure platforms).
- Experience applying government wide security compliance standards such as FISMA, CIS baselines, and security controls in regards to applications and operating systems.
For all positions, individuals must demonstrate they have experience in each of the four competencies listed below.
Please ensure that your resume and application provide enough detail to support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions. If you fail to submit a COMPLETE on-line resume, you WILL NOT be considered for this position. Please make sure that the experience/education as described on your resume contains accurate and sufficient information that clearly supports your responses to all of the questions for this position. If you exaggerate or falsify your experience, education and/or your responses to questions, your ratings are subject to change or you may be removed from employment consideration.
PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE A PHOTO OF YOURSELF IN YOUR RESUME OR OTHER SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION. FAILURE TO COMPLY MAY RESULT IN YOUR APPLICATION REMOVED FROM CONSIDERATION
NOTE: THIS VACANCY IS LIMITED TO THE FIRST 100 APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AND WILL CLOSE AT 11:59 P.M., EASTERN STANDARD TIME (EST) ON THE CLOSING DATE OR AT 11:59 P.M., (EST) ON THE DAY WE RECEIVE THE 100 TH APPLICATION, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST.
Candidates will be asked to fill out a Declaration for Federal Employment (Optional Form 306).
Applications will not be accepted from non-status candidates. Non-status candidates are those individuals who do not have competitive status (e.g., reinstatement eligibility, transfer eligibility from another government agency, etc.) Except for disabled individuals, non-status candidates must be in the area of consideration. Competitive status is not required if applicant is a disabled individual who may be eligible for appointment under a special Schedule A appointing authority in the excepted service. Applicants who meet this provision may apply even if they are outside the area of consideration.
Candidates eligible for reinstatement must submit an SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, from their last appointment. All status candidates must submit a copy of their most recent SF-50, and/or a copy of the last SF-50 that indicates they have competitive status.
Any male applicant who was born after December 31, 1959, and who is subsequently selected for this position must certify that he is registered for the military selective service by the date he is to enter on duty. False certification may result in termination after appointment.
Relocation Expenses will not be paid.
If selected for this position, you will be subject to favorable adjudication of an employment suitability determination.
Best qualified candidates will be responsible for arranging and paying for their own travel expenses in conjunction with any required interviews, unless they are already employed by the Office of Inspector General at the U. S. Department of Transportation.
THIS AGENCY PROVIDES REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS TO APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES. IF YOU NEED A REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION FOR ANY PART OF THE APPLICATION AND HIRING PROCESS, PLEASE NOTIFY THE AGENCY. THE DECISION ON GRANTING REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS WILL BE ON A CASE-BY-CASE BASIS. ALL APPLICANTS WILL RECEIVE CONSIDERATION REGARDLESS OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, GENDER, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, POLITICAL AFFILIATION, UNION AFFILIATION OR NON AFFILIATION, MARITAL STATUS, NON- DISQUALIFYING PHYSICAL HANDICAP, OR ANY OTHER NON-MERIT REASON. THE OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL (OIG), U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION (DOT) IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or to find an individual unqualified, unsuitable, or unfit for employment based upon financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. Information about an individual's employment experience should be used only to determine the person's qualifications and to assess his or her relative level of knowledge, skills, and abilities. Although an individual's personal conduct may be relevant in any employment decision, including conduct during periods of unemployment or evidence of dishonesty in handling financial matters, financial difficulty that has arisen through no fault of the individual will generally not itself be the basis of unfavorable suitability or fitness determination.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applicants will be rated on the extent and quality of experience, education, and training relevant to the duties of the position. Applicants who meet the qualification requirements will be further evaluated on their responses to the on-line announcement questions.
Eligible applicants will receive a numerical rating based on their responses to the application questions for this position submitted on-line via WWW.USAJOBS.GOV. These responses must be substantiated by your on-line resume. Applicants who do not respond to the application questions may be rated ineligible.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
High Risk (HR)
Trust determination process
- Your resume must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see:
- What to include in your resume
- Resume Writing
FEDERAL APPLICANTS: For consideration as a federal employee, you must submit a SF-50 that verifies your highest competitive grade, full performance level, and eligibility as a federal applicant. DO NOT submit an award SF-50 as these often do not verify grade or eligibility. For consideration for a promotion, Box 4 of the SF-50 must show a date that is at least 52 weeks prior to the job announcement closing. We recommend submitting your last promotion SF-50, current SF-50 or within-grade increase SF-50. Pay adjustment raise SF-50s for the current year will not support the 52 weeks' time-in-grade requirements. https: www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/service/SF-50/
Merit Promotion – All current Federal employees must submit a recent Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) documenting proof of competitive status, tenure, current grade level and full performance level of the position held. All reinstatement eligibles/former Federal employees must submit a SF-50 documenting proof of competitive status, tenure, grade level and full performance level of the position.
Non-competitive eligibles – must submit proof of eligibility (i.e., SF-50 documenting the full performance level of a position held on a permanent basis).
SCHEDULE A – To receive consideration for Schedule A appointment, you must submit your certification from a licensed medical professional; or any Federal agency, state agency, or agency of the District of Columbia or a U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits.
The letter must be printed on the licensed medical professional's letterhead and must include a signature or it is invalid.
CTAP/ICTAP – If you are eligible under the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), a copy of your certificate of surplus status, certificate of expected separation, or a specific Reduction-in-Force notice establishing your eligibility under CTAP/ICTAP. CTAP/ICTAP candidates must meet all qualification requirements for the vacant position to include any selective factors; meet the definition of best qualified (GOLD Category); and be able to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position upon entry.
Supporting documents may either be uploaded or faxed to 571-258-4052. The requested information MUST be received by fax within 48 hours prior to the closing date of the vacancy announcement (not including Saturdays, Sundays or government holidays). The requested information MUST be received by fax within 48 hours prior to the closing date of the vacancy announcement (not including Saturdays, Sundays or government holidays).
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.