As a Accountant (Systems), GS-0510-7/9, you will serve in a trainee capacity performing limited-scope, entry-level accounting systems work that requires you to be equipped with well-established and basic accounting principles, theories, concepts, and practices.
Upon successful completion of the Recent Graduate program, the employee MAY be eligible for conversion to a career-conditional or career appointment. If converted, the full performance level is up to the GS-12.
Learn more about this agency
- Assist the technical lead in the preparation of internal accounting systems and procedures.
- Formulate a variety of routine financial reports for specific programs and funds.
- Assist in the preparation of CMS financial statements in accordance with the requirements of the Chief Financial Officers (CFO) Act.
- Apply analytical techniques in reconciling routine system problems that generate errors in day-to-day operations.
- Evaluate current business requirements and determine if the accounting system is performing to existing requirements.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel up to 5% for this position.
None – Upon successful completion of the Recent Graduate program, the employee MAY be eligible for conversion to a career-conditional or career appointment. If converted, the full performance level is up to the GS-12.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or National to apply for this position.
- You must possess a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- You must meet all program, qualification and education requirements.
- You will be subject to a background and suitability investigation.
- You must sign a Pathways Participant Agreement before starting employment.
PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS :
GPA Requirement: You must possess a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on the unweighted 4.0 scale upon completion of your academic degree or certificate program. (GPA 2.95 is rounded to 3.0 and 2.94 is rounded to 2.9.)
To be eligible as a Recent Graduate:
- Individuals who within the previous 2 years, completed a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution. Therefore, you must have completed your educational program no earlier than 12/31/2018. Veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation, begin their 2-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for veterans cannot exceed 6 years from the date on which they completed their degrees (or certification). Therefore, veterans must have completed your educational program no earlier than 12/31/2014.
- To verify your eligibility as a Recent Graduate, you must submit the following at the time of application: A copy of your unofficial transcripts from the educational institution you attended attesting to your possession of the required education. Your unofficial transcripts must reflect: (1) your name; (2) overall grade point average (GPA); and (3) Degree Type (e.g., Bachelor's, Master's, etc.) and Degree Major; AND (4) the date your Degree was conferred. Failure to submit proof of degree/certificate completion at time of application will result in the withdrawal of your application from consideration for this position.
To be eligible as a Degree Candidate for Fall 2020:
- Individuals who are degree candidates for this current semester/term, i.e. Fall 2020, scheduled to complete a qualifying Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate, professional, vocational or technical degree or certificate program AND degree/certificate has not been conferred at time of application.
- To verify your eligibility as a Degree Candidate for Fall 2020: you must submit the following at the time of application: A copy of your unofficial transcripts from the educational institution you attended attesting to your education completed to date. Your unofficial transcripts must reflect: (1) your name; (2) overall grade point average (GPA); AND (3) Degree Type (e.g., Bachelor's, Master's, etc.) and Degree Major. If referred and selected, you must submit an additional unofficial transcript that confirms the date your degree was conferred before an Official Offer can be made. Degree must be conferred by January 16, 2021. Failure to submit proof of degree/certificate completion will result in the withdrawal of your application from consideration for this position.
In order to qualify for the GS-07 , you must meet one of the following:
- Specialized Experience: You must demonstrate in your resume at least one year (52 weeks) of qualifying specialized experience equivalent to the GS-05 grade level in the Federal government, obtained in either the private or public sector, to include: 1) inputting financial data into an automated financial system; 2) assisting with preparing accounting reports; AND 3) performing routine or limited reviews of financial information. – OR –
- Substitution of Education for Experience: You may substitute education for specialized experience at the GS-07 grade level by possessing at least one full year of graduate level education. One year of full-time graduate education is considered to be the number of credit hours that the school attended has determined to represent 1 year of full-time study. If that information cannot be obtained from the school, 18 semester hours should be considered as satisfying the 1 year of full-time study requirement. Part-time graduate education is creditable in accordance with its relationship to a year of full-time study at the school attended – OR –
- Superior Academic Achievement: A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university AND one of the following provisions of superior academic achievement:
- A grade-point average of "B" (3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale) for all completed undergraduate courses or those completed in the last two years of undergraduate study. For example, 2.95 is rounded to 3.0, and 2.94 is rounded to 2.9.
- A grade-point average of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale for all required courses completed in your major field of study, or those required courses in your major completed in the last two years of your undergraduate study.
- Rank in the upper one-third of your class in the college, university, or major subdivision.
- Membership in a national honor society (other than freshman honor societies) recognized by the Association of College Honor Societies. – OR –
- Combination of Experience and Education: Equivalent combinations of successfully completed post-high school education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements at the GS-07 grade level. The percentage of your total qualifying experience the education must equal to 100% to qualify for this grade.
In order to qualify for the GS-09 , you must meet one of the following:
- Specialized Experience: You must demonstrate in your resume at least one year (52 weeks) of qualifying specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal government, obtained in either the private or public sector, to include: 1) analyzing general ledger accounts; using knowledge of accounting principles, practices, and methods; 2) performing analysis of problems that arise from an accounting operation or automated accounting system to assist in the development of policy or guidance for resolution; AND 3) developing documentation to support operational guidance or accounting system procedures. – OR –
- Substitution of Education for Experience: You may substitute education for specialized experience at the GS-09 grade level by possessing a Master's Degree or equivalent graduate degree or at least 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B. or J.D. – OR –
- Combination of Experience and Education: Only graduate education in excess of the amount required for the GS-07 grade level may be used to qualify applicants for positions at the GS-09 grade level. Therefore, only education in excess of one full year of graduate level education may be used to combine education and experience.
TRANSCRIPTS are required at the time of application to verify satisfactory completion of the educational requirement related to substitution of education for experience and combination of experience and education. Please see "Required Documents" section below on what documentation is required.
Note: For those applying as Degree Candidates for Fall 2020, you will be required to submit an additional transcript that confirms the above major or course requirements and the date your degree was conferred. Degree requirements must be completed during the Fall 2020 semester and the degree must be conferred by January 16, 2021. Failure to submit proof of degree/certificate completion will result in the withdrawal of your application from consideration for this position.
Click the following link to view the occupational questionnaire: https: apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10986967
EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: In addition to meeting the qualification requirements, all candidates must have the following educational requirements:
– A bachelor's degree in accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (NOTE: Transcripts must be submitted at the time of application.) – OR –
– A combination of education and experience that includes at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge AND 24 semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law. (NOTE: Transcripts must be submitted at the time of application.) – OR –
– A combination of education and experience that includes at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge AND a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination. (NOTE: Transcripts must be submitted at the time of application.) – OR –
– A combination of education and experience that includes at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge AND completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g. 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24 semester hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or related field, e.g.; valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two high level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4 year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements. (NOTE: TRANSCRIPT AND WRITTEN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FROM PROFESSIONAL ACCOUNTANTS CERTIFYING ACCOUNTING KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED AT TIME OF APPLICATION.)
Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
Tour of Duty: Flexible
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure: Not Required
Salary Range by Grade:
GS-7 – $48,670 – $63,267
GS-9 – $59,534 – $77,396
For more information about pay based on locality, please visit the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Salaries & Wages Page .
Conversion Eligibility: Recent Graduates MAY be eligible for non-competitive conversion to a career, career-conditional, or term appointment upon completion of the Pathways Recent Graduate program if they complete their program requirements to include training and perform their job successfully as documented through performance evaluations. The position to which converted may have a full-performance level up to a GS-12.
Additional Forms REQUIRED Prior to Appointment:
- Optional Form 306, Declaration of Federal Employment and the Background/Suitability Investigation – A background and suitability investigation will be required for all selectees. Appointment will be subject to the successful completion of the investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. If selected, the Optional Form 306 will be required prior to final job offer. Click here to obtain a copy of the Optional Form 306 .
- Form I-9, Employment Verification and the Electronic Eligibility Verification Program – CMS participates in the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers. If selected, the Form I-9 will be required at the time of in-processing. Click here for more information about E-Verify and to obtain a copy of the Form I-9 .
- Standard Form 61, Appointment Affidavits – If selected, the Standard Form 61 will be required at the time of in-processing. Click here to obtain a copy of the Standard Form 61 .
Additional selections may be made from this announcement for similar positions within CMS in the same geographical location. For Central Office vacancies, the "same geographical location" includes Baltimore, Maryland; Bethesda, Maryland; and Washington, D.C.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
If you meet the minimum qualifications and education requirements for this position, your application and responses to the online occupational questionnaire will be evaluated under Category Rating and Selection procedures for placement in one of the following categories:
- Well Qualified – for those who excel in the evaluation criteria
- Qualified – for those who only meet the minimum qualification requirements
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three" but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Veterans' preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent will be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of professional or scientific positions at the GS-09 level or higher).
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Oral Communication
- Written Communication
Once the announcement has closed, your online application, resume, transcripts and CMS required documents will be used to determine if you meet eligibility and qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
CMS Pathways – Recent Graduate candidates will meet the qualification requirement consistent with the OPM qualification standards applicable to the position being filled. Veterans' preference applies to selections made under the Pathways authority in accordance with Part 302 of 5 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Candidates who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements need not be further evaluated.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Moderate Risk (MR)
Trust determination process
Credentialing , Suitability/Fitness
The following documents are REQUIRED:
1. Resume showing relevant experience; cover letter optional. Your resume must indicate your citizenship and if you are registered for Selective Service if you are a male born after 12/31/59. Your resume must also list your work experience and education (if applicable) including the start and end dates (mm/dd/yy) of each employment along with the number of hours worked per week. For work in the Federal service, you must include the series and grade level for the position(s). Your resume will be used to validate your responses to the assessment tool(s). For resume and application tips visit: https: www.usajobs.gov/Help/faq/application/documents/resume/what-to-include/ .
2. CMS Required Documents (e.g., SF-50, DD-214, SF-15, etc.). Required documents may be necessary to be considered for this vacancy announcement. Click here for a detailed description of the required documents . Failure to provide the required documentation WILL result in an ineligible rating OR non-consideration.
3. College Transcripts. Since this position requires specific education, you must submit a transcript attesting to your possession of the required education. You must submit an unofficial transcript at time of application. An official transcript is required if you are selected for the position. If selected, you must provide an original document before the final job offer may be extended.
College Transcripts and Foreign Education: Applicants who have completed part or all of their education outside of the U.S. must have their foreign education evaluated by an accredited organization to ensure that the foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the U.S. For a listing of services that can perform this evaluation, visit the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services website. This list, which may not be all inclusive, is for informational purposes only and does not imply any endorsement of any specific agency.
PLEASE NOTE: A complete application package includes the online application, resume, transcripts and CMS required documents. Please carefully review the full job announcement to include the "Required Documents" and "How to Apply" sections. Failure to submit the online application, resume, transcripts and CMS required documents, will result in you not being considered for employment.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.