This position is one of ten attorneys in the Legal Department, reporting to the General Counsel. This will be Sephoras first in-house privacy attorney and this person will spend the majority of their time acting as the primary Legal Department contact for privacy and digital counseling matters related to Sephoras retail stores, corporate offices and distribution centers.
Primary Responsibilities include:
Privacy Policies and Strategies
- Responsible for developing, supporting and managing US and Canadian evolving legal privacy strategies.
- Help set, drive and train employees on consistent privacy policies and practices across Sephora US and Sephora Canada.
- Monitor existing and proposed US and Canadian privacy and electronic communication laws and regulations, evaluate the potential impact on the business, and proactively propose advisable business processes or practices.
- Maintain knowledge of Sephoras relevant information technology systems and applications to drive systematic solutions and improvements.
- Analyze and advise on US and Canadian privacy requirements for changes and updates to Sephoras practices when collecting, receiving or disclosing personal information (PI).
- Partner with cross-functional teammates including, but not limited to, Information Technology, Product Management, Information Security, Client Services, HR and PR.
- Prepare and manage the implementation of internal and customer-facing privacy policies and related communications.
Digital/Ecomm Vendor and Commercial Transactions Support
- Conduct privacy impact assessments for existing and new digital and ecommerce service providers, projects, programs and services, and provide subject matter expertise regarding privacy provisions, risk mitigation strategies, and handling of PI within commercial deals.
- Lead California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) compliance efforts, including analyzing whether certain vendors are Service Providers under the CCPA.
- Collaborate with commercial legal team to draft, negotiate and advise on a wide range of digital and technology agreements with privacy and data protection implications, including SaaS, licensing, eComm services, analytics, personalization and data processing.
- Counsel all business units on privacy implications and legal requirements for new products and services.
Information Security and Incident Response Team Support
- Support the InfoSec team on handling data security incidents/events and represent the Legal Department on the Incident Response Team overseen by InfoSec.
- 4-7+ years of privacy law experience, including intimate familiarity with U.S. privacy laws including the CCPA;
- Strong academic credentials and training at a major national law firm; in-house experience a plus;
- California bar membership;
- Approachable and patient with internal clients; with passion for providing excellent customer service;
- Experience collaborating with and managing outside counsel a plus;
- Excellent business-oriented judgment and the ability to analyze problems, propose resolutions, and provide advice that is creative, practical and legally acceptable, taking into account the needs and objectives of the business;
- Sound judgment and good negotiating skills;
- Ability to work well with a small, tightly knit team, and the range to deal effectively with everyone from senior management to operations and store personnel;
- Ability and desire to seek responsibility and work autonomously. Must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously with strong follow-up; and
- Excellent references.
SEPHORA has been changing the face of prestige cosmetics since its debut in 1970s Paris. Sephora was acquired by luxury group Mot Hennessy Louis Vuitton (LVMH) in 1997 then launched stateside in 1998, and is currently home to 200 world-class brands – including its own private label, SEPHORA COLLECTION. Sephora’s curated assortment features more than 14,000 products including makeup, skin care, perfume, hair care, body, professional tools and more. Sephora is the beauty education hub, offering consultations at the Beauty Studio, a variety of complimentary classes, one-on-one service from Personal Beauty Advisors, and exclusive retail technology SKINCARE IQ, COLOR IQ, and FRAGRANCE IQ. Sephora is an international force in beauty, and its award-winning website and ever-growing presence on social-media make it the world’s premier digital beauty destination.