If you like disrupting the norm and are looking to join a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. I mean, have you seen our vending machine?!
We are looking for people who are excited to thrive in an environment of impactful change. Team spirit is evident at Carvana and everyday we let our passions and creativity foster innovation. We take big swings, set ambitious goals, and challenge each other to make data- and process-driven decisions in everything we do. Here are a few of our stories! Weve been changing the game since 2013, and were not taking our foot off the gas now. Want more of the story? Check out our background here.
About the team and position
Carvana is looking for an enthusiastic and talented attorney to join our team as Corporate Counsel, Litigation. This attorneys primary responsibility is to manage the companys nationwide litigation docket and advise the business on any dispute that is currently in or has the potential for litigation. This role is located at corporate headquarters in Tempe, Arizona, and reports to the Associate General Counsel, Litigation & Regulatory Affairs. It is possible that the position will begin remotely due to COVID-19 and later move to Carvana HQ in Tempe.
What youll be doing
- Manage the Companys docket of nationwide litigation and arbitration matters, working strategically with outside counsel, internal legal teams, and the business to minimize litigation risks, with a particular focus on the strategic management of consumer and commercial litigation.
- Responsible for implementing a holistic approach to litigation matters; tasks include case intake, tracking, internal factual and legal research, analysis and strategic evaluation, negotiating early resolutions where possible, and selecting and managing outside counsel where necessary.
- Design, implement, and manage an e-discovery process and plan with input from relevant stakeholders to ensure Carvanas document retention and legal hold processes are sufficient and to minimize spend when e-discovery is required.
- Develop network of in-state litigators to handle Carvana consumer and complex litigation across a wide range of forums.
- Work closely and collaborate with the Legal team to evaluate case analytics, cost, firm selection, and management of firms to minimize legal spending while maximizing positive outcomes.
- Intake, analyze and respond to questions from internal business units on a daily basis that touch on the companys litigation or dispute risk profile.
- Assist Legal team members and outside counsel on complex regulatory and investigation matters that require superb oral and written advocacy and knowledge of Carvanas business model and the applicable regulatory regimes.
- Work closely with finance, government affairs, corporate communications, and investor relations teams to ensure that appropriate proactive disclosures and communications are made regarding litigation.
What you should know
- A JD from an accredited law school.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience handling complex litigation matters, with a deep understanding of commercial and consumer litigation strategy, ideally gained through experience in both a top law firm and an in-house setting.
- Demonstrated experience litigating in a number of forums, including federal court, state court, arbitration, and agency proceedings, and a wide breadth of knowledge about procedural rules in each forum.
- Demonstrated business acumen, strong analytical skills, and the ability to grasp important business, legal, and financial issues facing the Company.
- Outstanding interpersonal and leadership skills, with the ability to build strong relationships across functions and to communicate effectively with senior business leaders, as well as other professionals and colleagues at all levels of an organization.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tight deadlines in a frequently high-paced environment.
- Highly nimble, adaptable, and agile team player with dynamic range, adept at collaborative and strategic decision-making, as well as results-oriented execution.
- Exceptional judgment and ability to quickly assess business challenges, make timely, pragmatic recommendations under pressure, and identify, prioritize, and resolve issues quickly and independently.
- Sophisticated verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way.
- Membership in good standing with a United States State Bar.
- Hiring is contingent on candidate verifying their eligibility to work in the United States and passing a complete background check.
What well offer in return
- Full-Time Salary Position with a competitive salary.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits.
- 401K with company match.
- A multitude of perks including student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more..
- A great wellness program to keep you healthy and happy both physically and mentally.
- Access to opportunities to expand your skillset and share your knowledge with others across the organization.
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development.
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing companies in the country.
To be able to do your job at Carvana, there are some basic requirements we want to share with you.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
Of course, well make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.