Under the general supervision of the Senior Vice President and General Counsel, assumes increasing responsibility to provide legal guidance and support for various System activities and issues, such as payor contracting, compliance with health laws and regulations, business transactions, patient safety, employment matters, corporate governance, HIPAA and confidentiality, contract negotiation/drafting/review, medical staff matters, real estate, tax-exemption, medical malpractice, bioethics, graduate medical education, research, information technology and intellectual property, and self-insurance. Supervises Assistant Counsel and Legal Department Staff. Assists in overseeing outside counsel. Participates in monitoring legislative and regulatory developments and providing education to Board, management, physicians and other staff.
The following are essential job accountabilities:
- Provides legal guidance and support for System activities and issues.
- Drafts, reviews and makes recommendations regarding proposed contracts and ensures compliance with all legal requirements.
- Advises senior leaders and provides legal guidance to staff throughout the System.
- Provides legal advice with respect to governance and prepares resolutions and forms.
- Assists in analyzing and implementing new business strategies to accomplish System goals in a legally compliant way.
- Provides support for the System’s risk management activities by anticipating and guarding against legal risks to the System, supporting Enterprise Risk Management, and advising Risk Management staff.
- Handles complex legal matters or projects as assigned.
- Provides legal assistance in the financial management activities of the organization.
- Assists in responding to internal, external, and regulatory investigations.
- Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings as assigned.
- Supervises Assistant Counsel and Legal Department staff.
- Assists in overseeing outside counsel.
- Participates in monitoring legislative and regulatory developments and provides education to board, management, physicians and other staff.
Note: Other combinations of formal education, training and experience may be considered.
Minimum Education Doctor of Law (J.D.)
Minimum Experience 10+ years Healthcare law experience. In-house counsel experience preferred
Min Field Of Expertise Healthcare law
Pref Field Of Expertise Healthcare law, with Corporate law experience
Req Cert/Registration License to practice law in PA or able to obtain license within 6 months
Physical Demands Mostly sedentary work
Skills: Other Excellent written and verbal communication and listening skills; careful attention to detail; proficient in legal research; self-motivated, with ability to use initiative and discretion to accomplish assignments with moderate supervision; collaborative team player; ability to juggle multiple projects; positive attitude focused on meeting or exceeding client expectations.