*** AMENDED – To extend the closing date of this announcement. ***
This career/career-conditional permanent full-time position is located in Appomattox Court House NHP, in the Administration Division.
Learn more about this agency
The primary purpose of this position is to provide administrative and operational assistance to Park staff utilizing computers and a Local Area Network. Duties may include:
- Serves as technical resource to park personnel on travel policies and regulations, and provides information on travel allowances and requirements; prepares travel authorizations and vouchers;
- Advisor to the park on procedures for the procurement of goods and services; within delegated authority purchases supplies, equipment, and services for the park utilizing a purchase card, or a blanket purchase agreement under micro-purchase authorities;
- Provides human resources information and assistance to park staff including assist with the preparation of position descriptions and organization charts, initiate requests for personnel actions in the Federal Personnel Payroll System (FPPS); submits all applicable documents to the Servicing Human Resources Office (SHRO) and coordinates with that office on the completion of the requested action;
- Serves as the primary timekeeper for the Park; reviews time and attendance reports for employees and assures reports are correctly entered into Quicktime; maintains files and training certificates on Quicktime Certifiers and Timekeepers; responds to and resolves issues involving Quicktime Administration; advises supervisors and employees concerning questions about pay, hours of duty and leave;
- Primary POC and acitivator for USAccess Light Activation Station (LAS); activates and resets Personal Identity Verification (PIV) DOIAccess smart cards; manages workstation processes, coordinates appointments, installs & maintains LAS hardware and software;
- Enforces security protocols to protect against both deliberate and unintended intrusions into Federal computer networks;
- Configures, installs and tests PC's and associated peripheral devices in accordance with manuals and instructions, troubleshoots problems and assists users in resolving them; enters trouble tickets for tracking and escalates highly technical difficulties to a senior computer specialist;
- Provides support for standard National Park Service (NPS) software program; installs and tests software packages and utilities such as batch files, menu programs, memory managers, or other NPS approved software;
- Performs billing, payments, travel, payroll, and training duties in accordance with established procedures and guidelines, federal manuals, regulations, and precedent actions; uses judgment interpreting and adapting regulations, guidelines, procedures, and park policies, precedents and work directions to specific cases or problems.
POSITION LOCATION: Appomattox, Virginia is a small rural community with churches, schools, stores, and doctors available locally. Larger cities are approximately 25-30 miles away with hospitals and more entertainment activities. Average winter temperatures range from 30-40 degrees with snow and ice; average summer temperatures range from 60-90 degrees with humidity.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to occasionally travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.
- Meet Selective Service Registration Act requirement for males
- Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program.
- Time-In-Grade: Any individual who is currently holding, or has held within the previous 52 weeks, a General Schedule position under non-temporary appointment in the competitive or excepted service, must meet time-in-grade requirements (must have served 52 weeks at the next lower grade or equivalent in the Federal service). Time-in-grade requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. You must include sf-50s to verify you meet this requirement.
- Typing proficiency of 40 words per minute is required.
- You may be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties; a valid driver's license is required. You will be required to submit a Motor Vehicle Operator's License and Driving Record. You may also be required to submit all certified driving records from all States that disclose all valid driver's licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you.
- Government housing is not available.
- You may be required to occasionally work on-call, evenings, weekends, holidays, overtime and shift work.
- If you are a new employee or supervisor in the Federal government, you will be required to complete a one-year probationary period.
- You may be required to travel overnight away from home. You must obtain a government charge card for travel purposes.
- You will be required to complete training and obtain/maintain a government charge card with travel and/or purchase authority.
All qualifications must be met by the closing date of this announcement-01/04/2021.
Credit will be given for all appropriate qualifying experience. For current Federal employees, if hours worked per week are not included on your resume, you must submit a non-award SF-50 as part of your application to be used to validate your work schedule and determine the amount of specialized experience that you will be granted. An award SF-50 will not be acceptable documentation for which to consider your amount of qualifying experience . For all other applicants who are not current federal employees, your resume must state either "full-time" (or "40 hours a week") or "part-time" with the number of hours worked per week to ensure proper crediting of specialized experience.
For periods of time that reflect military service, the DD-214 or Statement of Service is sufficient to meet the full and/or part-time hours requirement as the service dates will be reflected.
SELECTIVE FACTOR: This position requires a qualified typist. As such, a Proficiency Requirement – 40 words per minute typing speed is required. Words per minute are based on a 5-minute sample with 3 or fewer errors. Applicants may meet this requirement by passing the appropriate performance test, presenting a certificate of proficiency, or by self-certifying their proficiency in the application package. Applicants failing to provide appropriate documentation in their application package will receive no further consideration for this position. Candidates who do not meet this requirement by close of this announcement will receive no further consideration for this position.
– AND –
To qualify for this position at the GS-07 grade level, you must possess the following minimum qualifications by close of the announcement:
EXPERIENCE: At least one full year of specialized experience comparable in scope and responsibility to the GS-06 grade level in the Federal service (obtained in either the public or private sectors). This experience includes activities such as: providing a wide variety of administrative support services to enable efficient operation of a business or program office; administering payroll, workers compensation, employment/orientation paperwork functions of a business office; configure, install and test/troubleshoot PC's and peripheral devices and install and maintain hardware and software following DOI/NPS regulations; provide technical assistance to divisions/staff on all aspects of administrative functions including travel, purchasing, payroll, personnel actions, etc. You must include hours per week worked.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
CTAP/ICTAP: Current surplus and current or former displaced Federal individuals who have special priority selection rights under the Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) must be well qualified for the position to receive consideration for special priority selection. Well qualified means that the applicant meets the following: OPM qualification standards for the position; all selective placement factors, where applicable; special qualifying conditions that OPM has approved for the position, where applicable; is physically qualified with reasonable accommodation, where appropriate to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position upon entry; and is rated by the organization at least at the well qualified level on all competencies. Federal employees seeking CTAP/ICTAP eligibility must submit proof that they meet the requirements of 5 CFR 330.605(2) for CTAP and 5 CFR 330.704 for ICTAP. This includes a copy of the agency notice, a copy of their most recent Performance Rating, and a copy of their most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location. Please annotate your application to reflect that you are applying as a CTAP/ICTAP eligible. If you are selected for Federal employment, you will be required to fill out a Declaration of Federal Employment, OF-306, prior to being appointed to determine your suitability for Federal employment and to authorize a background investigation. Failing to answer all questions truthfully and completely or providing false statements on your application may be grounds for not hiring you, or for firing you after you begin work. Also, you may be punished by fine or imprisonment (U.S. Code, Title 18, section 1001). ?
There is no substitution of education for experience at the GS-07 grade level of this announcement.
A selectee receiving a first appointment to the Federal Government (Civil Service) is entitled only to the lowest step of the grade for which selected. The display of a salary range on this vacancy shall not be construed as granting an entitlement to a higher rate of pay.
This announcement may be used to fill additional positions if identical vacancies occur within 90 days of the issue date of the referral certificate.
Physical Demands: The work is mostly sedentary, however, walking, bending, physical light lifting, and travel to field sites is required.
Working Conditions: Work is performed in an office setting but may be performed out in the field. Incidental duties also include operating government passenger type vehicles.
The National Park Service has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document that you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application. Click the following link for more information, https: help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
A review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses provided in the Assessment Questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation, you will be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score will be adjusted accordingly. If a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications or experience, you can lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully; errors or omissions can affect your rating.
Candidates who apply under Competitive Merit Promotion procedures will undergo a quality review to determine if they are highly qualified based on the content of their resume and their responses to the questionnaire. Best qualified candidates will be referred if all required supporting documentation has been provided.
Candidates who apply under Noncompetitive Merit Promotion procedures will undergo a quality review to determine if they are minimally qualified based on the content of their resume and their responses to the questionnaire. Qualified candidates will be referred if all required supporting documentation has been provided.
You will be evaluated on the following competencies:
- Customer Service
- Database Management Systems
- Financial Management
- Interpersonal Skills
- Organizational Awareness
Performance Appraisals and Awards:
Please submit 1) a copy of your most recent performance appraisal/evaluation and 2) a list of any awards (e.g. superior performance awards, special act or achievement awards, quality step increase, etc.) you received in the last 5 years. Any performance appraisal/evaluation and award documentation you provide will be forwarded to the selecting official. The selecting official will review this documentation and give it due weight consideration during the overall selection process.
If you do not have your most recent performance appraisal/evaluation, please submit a statement as to why it is not available. Please indicate if any prior performance appraisals/evaluations were at an acceptable level.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
The following documents are required and must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 01/04/2021.
- Federal employees must submit a copy of their latest SF-50 "Notification of Personnel Action" that reflects career or career-conditional tenure, such as the initial hire, promotion, or reassignment, showing position title, series, grade and tenure (please do not submit an Award SF-50 unless it provides the necessary information) and, if different, an SF-50 showing highest permanent grade ever held.
- Veterans Preference Documentation (e.g. DD-214, SF-15, VA Letter as appropriate)
- LMWFA: Documentation for the Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act (LMWFA) eligibility, which includes ALL Appointment AND Termination SF-50s for EACH appointment as well as ALL performance evaluations, for each qualifying period of temporary employment claimed.
- Veterans Preference Documentation:
- If you are a Discharged, Non-Disabled Veteran, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 showing character of discharge (Member 4 copy), or other Documentation of Service and Separation under Honorable Conditions, as listed on the SF15 . If you don't have your DD-214, you may request it after discharge from the National Archives .
- If you are a veteran within 120 days of discharge, you must submit signed documentation from the Armed Forces certifying: 1) your expected release/retirement from active duty, 2) under honorable conditions, 3) your pay grade/rank/rate at time of discharge, 4) dates of active duty service, 5) any campaign or expeditionary medals received, & 6) dated within 120 days of your separation.
- If you are a Disabled Veteran, Purple Heart Recipient, or Mother or Spouse of a Disabled or Deceased Veteran, you must submit all additional proof required by the SF15 , and if applicable, a completed SF15 . You may request a copy of your Department of Veterans Affairs letter from www.ebenefits.va.gov or call 1-800-827-1000 to establish proof of disability.
- Performance Appraisals and Awards:
- All applicants must submit their most recent performance appraisal showing the official rating of record and signed by a supervisor or, if one is unavailable, a statement as to why it is not available (including if any prior performance appraisals/evaluations were at an acceptable level).
- Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents will result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
- Documentation that you meet Selective Factors.
Do not submit photographs with your application package. Documents with photographs may not be seen by hiring officials – you must remove your image from any badges, licenses, etc.
Do not upload Adobe portfolio documents. Adobe portfolio documents are not viewable by our agency's staffing offices.