About the Position: The U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID), a subordinate research laboratory under the U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command, is the lead medical biological defense research laboratory for the DOD Chemical Biological Defense Program. For additional information about USAMRIID and Fort Detrick, please visit http: www.usamriid.army.mil and http: www.detrick.army.mil .
Learn more about this agency
- Serves as a technical expert for the synchronization of effort for elements of biological security and biorisk management.
- In the absence of the Biosecurity Manager, advises the Commander on factors that impact biological security, bio-risk management, physical security, personnel security, operational security, and information security.
- In the absence of the Biosecurity Manager, advises the Commander on factors that impact biological personnel reliability, biological select agents and toxins (BSAT) accountability, and emergency response to optimize BSAT management.
- Coordinates activities with the Biosafety Officer, Personnel Reliability Program Manager, BSAT Manager, Facilities Manager, Physical Security Manager, Emergency Manager and Garrison support.
- In the absence of the Biosecurity Manager, conducts external reporting to County, State, and Federal entities; ensures the activity is compliant with all regulations and laws that govern BSAT management.
- Ensures that activity principal investigators are fully compliant with all applicable regulations and laws that govern BSAT management.
- The incumbent serves as the activity?s Alternate Responsible Official (ARO) and must assume the duties and responsibilities of the Responsible Official (RO) in their absence.
- As the ARO for the activity?s CDC BSAT registration, ensures that the handling, use, storage and transfer of BSAT comply with the regulatory requirements of 42 CFR 73, 9 CFR 121, AR 190-17, and local policies and procedures.
- Incumbent must be approved by the Federal Select Agent Program (FSAP) following a security risk assessment (SRA) by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
- Must be able to respond in a timely manner to on-site incidents involving select agents and toxins in accordance with the entity?s incident response plan.
- Must have a physical, not merely a telephonic or audio/visual, presence within a reasonable distance of all of the entity?s registered areas (the principal duty station) to ensure that the entity is in compliance with the select agent regulations.
Occasional travel – Temporary Duty (TDY) Travel is 10%.
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain Secret Security Clearance.
- This position requires the completion of a pre-employment Physical Examination and an annual examination thereafter to ensure the continued, required level of physical health and ability or fitness to perform the duties of the position.
- Pre-employment and random drug testing is required.
- Must participate in the Biological Personnel Reliability Program (BPRP).
- Must participate in the Occupational Health Surveillance Program (OHSP).
- 3 year probationary period.
- One year supervisory probationary period.
USAMRIID is participating in an alternative personnel system known as the Personnel Demonstration Project (PDP). The DB-03 payband is equivalent to the GS-13 step 1 to GS-14 step 10 level. In keeping with the Demonstration pay fixing policies, employees earning a salary that falls within this payband equivalent, will not receive an immediate pay increase (promotion) if appointed to this position. Future pay increases within the payband will be accomplished through the pay for performance management system.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document .
A. Degree: Bachelor's degree (or higher degree) in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
B. Combination of Education and Experience: Courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes: (1) Working in Biological Safety Level (BSL) 2 – 4 environments supporting the inventory and accountability of Biological Select Agents and Toxins (BSAT); (2) Creating or revising Standard Operating Procedures and Policies pertaining to BSAT inventory, storage, transfer and reporting; (3) Ensures that local policies and procedures for the handling, use, storage and transfer of BSAT comply with the regulatory requirements of Federal, and local policies and procedures. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (DB-02 / GS-12).
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Administration and Management
- Technical Competence
Obtain and hold Biological Personnel Reliability Program (BPRP) enrollment pursuant to the requirements of the Army Biological Surety Program. Individuals must maintain a current certification of enrollment in the BPRP as a condition of eligibility for continued employment. The BPRP is a suitability and reliability program operated by the agency and requires the employee to submit to and satisfactorily complete suitability and reliability screening and analysis. As a condition of employment, employees in this position must also be approved by the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Justice for access to laboratories containing biological select agents and toxins pursuant to the terms of 42 CFR Part 73.
Incumbent works in containment suites with highly hazardous infectious agents and toxins and is required to participate in then Occupational Health Surveillance Program (OHSP), IAW with AR 40-5 and DA Pam 385.69. The OHSP monitors worker health and provides vaccinations aimed at additional protection above personal protective devices. Individuals who have a medical condition that precludes receipt of a FDA licensed vaccine or who otherwise decline to receive said vaccinations will not meet the conditions of employment for this position.
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone–no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
The following special programs/incentives may be offered if it is appropriate to the position being filled and in the best interest of the government:
– Advanced In-hire (offered to new Federal employees only)
– Advanced Leave Accrual (offered to new Federal employees only)
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Extended Probationary Period: The length of the probationary period for the Engineers and Scientists Occupational Family will be three years. The probationary period for all other occupational families will be two years.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- This position requires you to submit a Public Financial Disclosure Report (OGE 278) or a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE450) upon entry, and annually thereafter.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program 16 (Engineers and Scientists) position.
- You may claim military spouse preference.
- If a MSP applicant is determined best qualified and selected, placement must be at the full performance level for priority consideration.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Noncritical-Sensitive (NCS)/Moderate Risk
Trust determination process
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External) .
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume .
2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- This position has an individual occupational requirement and/or allows for substitution of education for experience. If you meet this requirement based on education you MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.