Compass is streamlining the home buying and selling experience by building the single software platform for all real estate activities. Founded in 2012, Compass combines the best technology and personalized service to power all real estate activities in 100+ U.S. cities, all in service of our mission to help everyone find their place in the world.
As Senior Counsel – Securities at Compass, you work on exciting matters that require proactive legal guidance. You’re part of a group of talented in-house lawyers and the projects you work on challenge you to think creatively and constructively. You are energetic and collaborative — ready to partner in initiatives that influence all aspects of Compasss business and work with employees across the company. Your contributions will be impactful, value driven and you will play an instrumental role on the Compass Legal Team.
What you will do:
- Advise on securities law and related general corporate law matters.
- Support timely satisfaction of SEC and stock exchange compliance and reporting obligations, including registration statements, proxy statements and reports on Forms 10-K, 10-Q and 8-K.
- Review and provide input on earnings press releases and other public disclosures.
- Manage Section 16 reporting and insider trading compliance issues.
- Assist in corporate governance and board matters, including preparation of board materials, minutes and updates to corporate charters and policies.
- Advise on matters related to equity issuances and executive compensation.
- Manage the corporate governance of Compasss subsidiaries.
Who you are:
- You bring knowledge of equity based compensation structures and systems.
- You have a detailed understanding of applicable securities laws; significant experience advising clients regarding compliance and coordinating 34 Act filings.
- Minimum of 5 years experience with heavy focus on public company securities law and corporate governance. At least 3 years in the securities practice of a nationally-recognized US law firm required; a combination of both law firm and in-house public company experience is ideal. Experience advising high-growth companies is a plus.
- Bachelors degree plus JD from an accredited law school; active membership in at least one state bar (NY Bar is a plus).
- Proven ability to independently manage caseload and other projects.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills with an ability to distill complex legal issues and provide sound, clear legal advice to senior leaders and others.
- Confidence operating in a fast-paced environment.
- A team player with low ego who can effectively work with and manage other attorneys and legal professionals.
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyones place.