Are you an attorney with 3 years or more of experience, fascinated by negotiations, attentive to detail and experienced with contracts? Are you ready to make a move that is fulfilling, rewarding, and provides a work-life balance? Have you ever wished to be part of a collaborative in-house legal team that works hard to solve complex issues and truly cares about you as a professional and a person? Then this may be the right fit for you!
This role may be hired at Staff Counsel or Associate General Counsel depending on level of experience
With an emphasis on reviewing, drafting, and negotiating complex vendor contracts and government-related subcontracts, this position provides legal advice, information, and risk management strategies to various business units on a wide range of legal and regulatory issues affecting the corporation and its subsidiaries. Provides oversight and leadership to other Legal staff on projects and serve as lead legal counsel on enterprise projects as well as internal committees.
In this role you will:
- Review, draft, and negotiate complex vendor contracts and government-related subcontracts with business areas.
- Provide guidance to government divisions regarding legal and contractual requirements.
- Advise senior management and other internal stakeholders of the corporation and its subsidiaries on various legal and compliance issues by utilizing legal expertise to assess risk and to provide effective and appropriate recommendations regarding such risks.
- Provide oversight and leadership to other Legal staff on projects.
- Serve as lead legal counsel on enterprise projects as well as internal committees.
- Perform legal research and analysis on various legal issues affecting the corporation and its subsidiaries.
- Advise internal business partners with the development and/or review of corporate policies and procedures to ensure legal compliance.
- Complete special projects and/or provide guidance on other corporate projects and initiatives as needed, including new business ventures and strategies.
- Provide guidance regarding garnishments and levies filed against the corporation and its subsidiaries along with other document and subpoena requests, as needed.
This role could be a good fit if you:
- Are looking for a mid- to senior level attorney position in a corporate in-house environment
- Have contract experience and a desire to sharpen that expertise
- Thrive within a fast-paced work environment
- Love a dynamic industry that is always changing and evolving
Youll benefit from this experience by:
- Collaborating with a small, seasoned team to solve complex and challenging issues
- Using and expanding your contract expertise through deals of all sizes with different areas of the business
- Gaining an understanding of the healthcare industry and government contracting
- Working in an environment that serves our Nations military, veterans, Guard and Reserves along with their families
You need to have:
- Law degree from an accredited law school
- Admitted, active, and in good standing with the State Bar of Wisconsin (or with another state bar and registered, or eligible to register, as in-house counsel with the State Bar of Wisconsin)
- 3 years or more as an attorney practicing in a law firm and/or corporate law department and/or regulatory corporate compliance capacity (after receiving JD)
Associate General Counsel:
- Law degree from an accredited law school
- Admitted, active, and in good standing with the State Bar of Wisconsin (or with another
state bar and registered, or eligible to register, as in-house counsel with the State Bar of
- 10 years or more as an attorney practicing in a law firm and/or corporate law department and/or regulatory corporate compliance capacity (after receiving JD), including 5 years or more of corporate and/or insurance experience and/or regulatory corporate compliance capacity
- 5 years or more as an attorney practicing in a law firm and/or corporate law department and/or regulatory corporate compliance capacity (after receiving JD) AND 5 years or more of relevant sophisticated insurance business or government contracting experience
- This role reports directly to the Vice President and General Counsel and works with a collaborative contract team of 5, including Associate General Counsel, Staff Counsel, and a Contract Attorney. In total, our legal team is comprised of 16 members.
Compensation and Benefits
- Eligible for annual Performance Bonus Program
- 401(k) with dollar-per-dollar match up to 6% of salary
- Competitive paid time off
- Health and dental insurance start DAY 1
- Vision insurance
- Flexible spending, dependent care, and health savings accounts
- Short- and long-term disability, group life insurance
- Dress for your day
- Innovative professional and cognitive development programs
Who We Are
WPS Health Solutions is an innovator in health insurance and a worldwide leader in claims administration, serving millions of beneficiaries in the United States and abroad.
Founded in 1946, WPS offers health insurance plans for individuals, families, and seniors, and group plans for small and large businesses. We are a world-class claims processor and program administrator for the governments Medicare program. And we manage benefits for millions of active-duty and retired military personnel and their families.
WPS has been named one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies by the Ethisphere Institute for 10 years in a row.
Our Purpose and Values
Our purpose is to make healthcare easier for those we serve. Click Here
Our values Customer Focused, Individual Responsibility, Mutual Respect, and Driven & Passionate are the core of who we are and how we conduct business every day.
WPS Health Insurance offers high-quality health insurance plans for individuals and families, Medicare supplement plans for seniors, and group health plans for businesses of every size.
Military and Veterans Health
WPS Military and Veterans Health administers claims and provides customer service and related activities for the U.S. Department of Defense and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and their beneficiaries.
Government Health Administrators
WPS Government Health Administrators manages Medicare Part A and Part B benefits for more than 7 million beneficiaries. As one of the largest contractors for the Centers for Medicare & Medicare Services, weve served Medicare beneficiaries and their health care providers since 1966.
EPIC Specialty Benefits
EPIC Specialty Benefits provides businesses group insurance products that cover:
- Voluntary benefits
Stay connected: Sign-up for Job Alerts