This position is located in the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Center for Evidence and Practice Improvement, Division of Practice Improvement. The duty location for this position is in Rockville, MD.
For more information about AHRQ, click the "Learn more about the Agency" Box.
**Applicants please note: Additional selections may be made across the Department of Health and Human Services through this vacancy announcement.**
Learn more about this agency
As a General Scientist Administrator, you will use your professional expertise, knowledge and skill to make substantive contributions to the research and program development activities of CEPI and AHRQ in the area of patient-centered care with a focus on patient engagement.
Your major duties and responsibilities include:
- Conceptualizing, planning, and executing research agenda by providing technical assistance on research, program implementation, and policy issues related to patient-centered care.
- Participating on teams as a subject matter expert on clinical and/or practice interventions and assisting with the development, execution and evaluation of dissemination and implementation projects to increase the uptake and use of effective clinical interventions and models of care.
- Coordinating technical assistance with public and private organizations regarding systems improvement to increase patient-centered care and improve the quality of health care.
- Managing contracts that advance the work of the DPI in practice improvement.
- Serving as a Program Official for extramural grants related to patient-centered care, care coordination and transitions, patient/family engagement, self-management support, care transformation and practice improvement.
- Preparing research manuscripts and scientific review articles for publication in peer-reviewed journals.
NOTE: Do not cut and paste the duties, specialized experience, or occupational assessment questionnaire from this announcement into your resume as that will not be considered a demonstration of your qualifications for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- U. S. Citizenship is required.
- All qualification requirements and time-in-grade must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Federal applicants must submit an SF-50 to show status and time-in-grade.
- Males ages 18 through 25 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- Employment is subject to the successful completion of the pre-appointment process (i.e., background investigation, verification of qualifications and job requirements, completion of onboarding forms, submission of required documents, etc.)
- PHS Commissioned Corps applicants must submit current personnel orders.
- This position has an education requirement – transcripts are required.
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- Position is not in the Bargaining Unit.
- Recruitment incentives are not authorized.
- Student loan repayment incentive is not authorized.
THESE QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET BY THE CLOSING DATE: 01/04/2021
You must have a Bachelor's or graduate degree with major study in an academic field related to the medical field, health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position being advertised. This degree must be from an educational program from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained.
You must provide a copy of your unofficial transcripts that reflect your final degree has been earned/conferred by the closing date of this announcement. A copy of a diploma is not acceptable documentation for educational verification.
In addition to meeting the education requirement, to qualify for this GS-14 position, your resume must clearly demonstrate that you have one full year of specialized experience comparable in difficulty and responsibility to at least the GS-13 level in the federal service.
Specialized Experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position and is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, an applicant's one full year of specialized experience must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for successful job performance.
Examples of qualifying specialized experience include performing the following types of tasks on a regular and recurring basis: Reviewing, analyzing and synthesizing scientific and other information related to patient-centered care to develop programs; developing research concepts, projects and initiatives related to patient-centered care with a focus on patient engagement and linkages between clinical and community services.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; community; student; social). If such experience is on a part-time basis, you must provide the average number of hours worked per week as well as the beginning and ending dates of the experience so it can be fully credited.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
PATIENT-CENTERED CARE – Knowledge and experience performing work related to the concepts, principles, theories, and methods of patient-centered care that focuses on patient's specific health needs and desired health outcomes behind all health care decisions and quality measurements
PUBLIC HEALTH SURVEILLANCE – Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures to conduct ongoing systematic collection, analysis, interpretation, and dissemination of health-related data essential to planning, implementation, and evaluation of public health practice.
GRANTS MANAGEMENT AND ADMINISTRATION – Acquires and applies critical financial concepts and practices, based upon a thorough understanding of the Federal Government, to administer grants and cooperative agreements in accordance with organizational needs and deadlines.
SCIENTIFIC WRITING – Prepares written documentation to transfer scientific information about concepts, situations, products, services, or results to audiences with varying levels of scientific knowledge.
To preview the occupational assessment questionnaire, please click on the following link: https: apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10982859
Current status candidates must provide an SF50 that allows HR to verify that they meet Time-in-Grade (TIG) requirements by the closing date of the announcement. Please Note: An SF50 for the current year pay adjustment is NOT acceptable for verifying TIG (ex. 2020 general increases cannot be used to verify TIG). To allow us to verify that you meet TIG requirements, please provide any of the following SF-50s:
- Competitive or Career-ladder promotion to your highest grade (this does NOT include 120 day temporary promotions )
Regular Within Range Increase (WRI) or With In Grade (WGI) increase at your highest grade (this does not include quality step increases (QSIs).
Competitive career/career-conditional appointment to your highest grade.
SF-50 at your highest grade held, that is at least one year older than the announcement closing date of the announcement.
This position has an education requirement. You must submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades) to document that you have met the education requirement. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required prior to your starting work.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http: www.ed.gov .
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
HHS is an equal opportunity employer. Selection for this position will be based solely on merit without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, marital or family status or other differences.
Click here for information on " Federal hiring for individuals with disabilities ".
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4 Copy), or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. Click here for more information on veterans' preference .
Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): Click here
AHRQ supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. Telework eligibility may be discussed during the interview process.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Additional selections may be made for similar positions across the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) within the local commuting area(s) of the location identified in this announcement. By applying, you agree to have your application shared with interested selecting official(s) at HHS. Clearance of CTAP/ICTAP will be applied for similar positions across HHS.
To determine your qualifications and referral status, we may review your resume and supporting documentation and compare it against your responses to the vacancy questionnaire. Ensure you support your self-ratings by the information you provide in your application. We may verify or assess your qualifications at any time. Inflated or unsupported qualifications may affect your rating. Any misrepresentation or material omission of facts may be sufficient cause to end further consideration of your candidacy. Persons listed as having knowledge of your past accomplishments or experience in your application may be contacted for verification purposes at any time. Verification may, but need not, begin prior to receiving an offer.
To be considered well qualified for the purposes of the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) , you must substantively exceed the basic qualifications by scoring at least an 85 on the assessment and meet all eligibility, physical, medical, suitability, and all other requirements.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact either HRSA's Office of Human Resources at (301) 443-3780 or by email: askhrhrsa.gov or HRSA's Reasonable Accommodation programs at (301) 443-2538 or by email: RA-Requesthrsa.gov . You must contact the Reasonable Accommodations Program prior to the closing date of this announcement to receive assistance. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. Hours of operation: Monday through Friday 7:30AM to 4:00PM EST (except Federal holidays).
Submission of a resume alone is not a complete application. To apply for this position, you must provide a complete online Application Package which includes:
1. A current Resume – For resume writing guidance, please visit USAJOBS Resources Center or view their video tutorial. Your resume must thoroughly describe how your skills and experiences align to the criteria defined in the "Qualifications" section of this announcement and it must support your responses to the assessment questionnaire. We cannot assume you have performed the necessary experience required for this position regardless of your employment history or academic career. To ensure all of the essential information is in your resume, we encourage you to use the USAJOBS online Resume Builde r.
If you choose to use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose, then you must ensure it contains all of the required information and you organize it so we can associate the following information for each experience/position:
You must also ensure that the duties performed are clearly matched to each period of employment.
Do not include a photograph or video of yourself, or any sensitive information (age, date of birth, marital status, protected health information, religious affiliation, social security number, etc.) on your resume or cover letter. We will not access web pages linked on your resume or cover letter to determine your qualifications.
2. A complete Assessment Questionnaire
3. Other supporting documents to be submitted with application:
- Veterans' Preference Documentation, if applicable, a DD-214 Member 4 copy, which shows type of discharge. If still active, provide an official Statement of Service. Any other documentation such as VA letter documenting disability, SF-15, and any other required supporting documentation based your veterans' preference claim.
- SF-50: Federal applicants must submit an SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) that shows status and time-in-grade, and its full performance level. If you are an HHS employee you may obtain a copy of your SF-50 from eOPF. If you have separated from Federal Government employment, you may obtain a copy of your SF-50 via: National Personnel Records Center, Annex, 1411 Boulder Boulevard, Valmeyer, IL, 62295; FAX (618) 935-3014 ; Email CPR ; or visit the National Archives Website .
- Personnel Orders: PHS Commissioned Corps Officers must submit a copy of latest personnel orders in lieu of SF-50.
- Peace Corps volunteers must submit a copy of your "Description of Service (DOS)" in lieu of the SF-50. If you do not have one you should email the Peace Corps Office of Volunteer and PSC Financial Services at certifypeacecorps.gov .
- If you are currently serving in a pay banded position, please include a copy of your pay band chart with your application.
- College transcripts (if the position has a positive education requirement, or you are qualifying on the basis of education).
For Résumé and Application Tips visit the USAJOBS Resource Center .
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 01/04/2021.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.