This position as VP, Litigation Counsel operates within a litigation team that manages all litigation, and regulatory enforcement matters and investigations for Synchrony Financial. Within the litigation team, this role will primarily be responsible for managing individual consumer litigation, including matters in federal and state courts, bankruptcy, arbitration and threatened claims. In addition to managing litigation, this role will be responsible for working closely with Synchrony’s operations and compliance teams, as well as other members of the legal team to identify and communicate opportunities to mitigate operational risk.
The role reports to Synchrony’s Chief Litigation Counsel.
- Managing a portfolio of litigation, threatened litigation, and arbitration;
- Managing regulatory investigations, enforcement proceedings, and escalated consumer complaints and/or third-party subpoenas;
- Winning matters through motion practice, trial or otherwise resolving matters on favorable terms;
- Utilizing early dispute resolution, alternative dispute resolution and preventative lawyering to reduce the number and cost of litigation;
- Supervising and managing critical relationships with outside counsel to effectively represent Synchrony on a cost-effective basis;
- Supervising litigation analysts to develop facts necessary to support Synchrony’s litigation positions, and engage in discovery and e-discovery;
- Conducting and participating in regular portfolio-wide litigation reviews to proactively identify litigation and operational trends;
- Advising business and operational teams about litigation risk; engaging in litigation due diligence;
- Partnering with business, compliance and regulatory teams to lead legal policy initiatives and to improve management of legal and operational risk;
- Relentlessly pursuing greater operational rigor and efficiency.
- Perform other duties and/or special projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree, J.D. and 10+ years of consumer litigation, arbitration and mediation experience, including matters involving the FDCPA, TCPA, TILA, FCRA, UDAAP and state law equivalents. Experience to include work both at a law firm representing companies, as well as through work for a corporate law departments or government agency. The candidate must be exceptional in the following areas:
- 3+ years’ in-house experience at a consumer financial services company, and in particular experience with collection operations.
- 1+ year experience managing more junior attorneys and para-professionals.
- Experience in the following areas:
- Demonstrated legal acumen: proven experience in quickly and accurately analyzing legal issues.
- Consumer finance litigation
- Prior experience managing a portfolio of 40+ matters (demonstrated by prioritizing matters and then focusing on what matters in each and driving projects and analyses to conclusion; the ability to set time frames and budgets for both internal and external counsel work and meet those expectations.)
- Experience in effective case management: proven experience/ability to make an early case assessment, lay out the defense or prosecution of a matter and then execute on that plan with periodic reassessment and modifications made as necessary.
- Negotiating settlements and conducting mediations
- eDiscovery and computer forensic issues
- Providing legal advice in a regulated environment
- Investigations and writing investigation reports
- Outside counsel management
- Experience working with consumer finance regulators, including the CFPB, OCC and state attorney generals.
- Integrity: the ability to do the right thing and act with unyielding integrity despite pressure situations.
- Communication: the ability to succinctly explain issues and persuade others.
- Initiative: the ability and confidence to be a self-starter who operates without need of in-person supervision.
- Flexibility: the ability to operate in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and change direction as needed. Not pedantic or holding a belief that there is a single best way to accomplish a task.
- Inclusiveness: the ability to interact effectively within a matrixed and global reporting environment and interact with senior management, peers and all other levels of the organization.
- Organization: the ability to work on many matters simultaneously and prioritize.
- You must be 18 years or older
- You must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- You must be willing to take a drug test, submit to a background investigation and submit fingerprints as part of the onboarding process
- You must be able to satisfy the requirements of Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
- New hires (Level 4-7) must have 9 months of continuous service with the company before they are eligible to post on other roles. Once this new hire time in position requirement is met, the associate will have a minimum 6 months’ time in position before they can post for future non-exempt roles. Employees, level 8 or greater, must have at least 24 months’ time in position before they can post. All internal employees must have at least a “consistently meets expectations” performance rating and have approval from your manager to post (or the approval of your manager and HR if you don’t meet the time in position or performance requirement).
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice:
- Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
- If you need special accommodations, please call our Career Support Line so that we can discuss your specific situation. We can be reached at 1-866-301-5627. Representatives are available from 8am – 5pm Monday to Friday, Central Standard Time.
The salary range for this position is 100,000.00 – 200,000.00 USD Annual
Salaries are adjusted according to market in CA and Metro NY and some positions are bonus eligible.
Job Family Group: